FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux User Repository

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-31-2009, 02:04 PM
Chris Brannon
 
Default metadata file/database of AUR?

Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> wouldn't it make sense to have a daily crontab on the aur server that
> generates a file which contains all packages (maybe along with their
> description) ? then users can do local searches instead.

Even compressed, the metadata would probably take up a few megabytes.
The downloads would account for a good deal of excess traffic.
Perhaps the metadata could be mirrored, but the AUR is unsupported.

It is a neat idea!

-- Chris
 
Old 12-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Sebastian Nowicki
 
Default metadata file/database of AUR?

On 31/12/2009, at 10:46 PM, Nathan Wayde wrote:


On 31/12/09 14:42, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:

just wondering.
afaik tools such as yaourt, when you search a package, they will
search
for http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=<packagename> and
parse the

output, right?

wouldn't it make sense to have a daily crontab on the aur server that
generates a file which contains all packages (maybe along with their
description) ? then users can do local searches instead.

Dieter


Most if not all the others use http://aur.archlinux.org/rpc.php.
The local search would be nice though.


It would make more sense to expand upon the RPC and use a client which
caches. Initially any queries might be slower, but the second time
they would be just as fast, without the overhead of downloading _all_
packages..
 
Old 12-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Daenyth Blank
 
Default metadata file/database of AUR?

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 10:22, Sebastian Nowicki <sebnow@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would make more sense to expand upon the RPC and use a client which
> caches. Initially any queries might be slower, but the second time they
> would be just as fast, without the overhead of downloading _all_ packages..
>

+1
 
Old 12-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Dieter Plaetinck
 
Default metadata file/database of AUR?

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:46:34 -0500
Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 10:22, Sebastian Nowicki <sebnow@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > It would make more sense to expand upon the RPC and use a client
> > which caches. Initially any queries might be slower, but the second
> > time they would be just as fast, without the overhead of
> > downloading _all_ packages..
> >
>
> +1

wtf was i thinking

20k packages, say 100 bytes each -> 2GB of metadata

caching would be a much better idea indeed!
and initial queries wouldn't be noticeably slower. writing a few
hundred bytes to a filesystem is nothing compared to doing http
requests.
i guess most is said now, we should just get in touch with the guys who
develop our favorite aur frontends.

/me off to celebrate 2k10

Dieter
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Loui Chang
 
Default metadata file/database of AUR?

On Thu 31 Dec 2009 19:52 +0100, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> wtf was i thinking
>
> 20k packages, say 100 bytes each -> 2GB of metadata

Nah. The AUR database currently takes up about 44M uncompressed. That's
including all user data, comments, dummy packages, etc. All the files in
unsupported take up 529M. Still, it's silly to pull data for every
single bloody package especially if you're not interested in 99% of them.

> caching would be a much better idea indeed!
> and initial queries wouldn't be noticeably slower. writing a few
> hundred bytes to a filesystem is nothing compared to doing http
> requests.
> i guess most is said now, we should just get in touch with the guys who
> develop our favorite aur frontends.

> /me off to celebrate 2k10

Happy New Year!
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:05 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org