FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux User Repository

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Ionut Biru
 
Default binary uzbl package(s)?

On 12/05/2009 11:36 AM, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:

Hi guys.
For the uzbl project (http://www.uzbl.org/) I maintain 2 packages in
AUR - http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=uzbl -
and I'm involved in the upstream as well

Since this program is becoming quite popular, I thought it would make
sense to start maintaining this in community/extra. (actually 'uzbl'
has different little subprojects that I would each package separately,
depending on each other where appropriate)

Note that I'm not an arch package maintainer nor TU. I maintain a
package in extra (aif) because of my releng duties, but I lack the
experience and detailed knowlegde "real" packagers have.

How I should I proceed? If a real TU/dev would like to maintain it,
that's fine by me also, but upstream development is quite fast-faced (a
release every 2-3 weeks) so you would need to be actively following.

Dieter


i'll move uzbl-git in community. does anyone have any objection?

do you do tarball releases for stable version?
 
Old 12-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Dieter Plaetinck
 
Default binary uzbl package(s)?

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 12:40:05 +0200
Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:


> i'll move uzbl-git in community. does anyone have any objection?
>
> do you do tarball releases for stable version?

we provide tarballs for each release. i would keep the git packages
in AUR and put binary packages in official repo's.

Dieter
 
Old 12-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Daenyth Blank
 
Default binary uzbl package(s)?

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 08:10, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
> we provide tarballs for each release. i would keep the git packages
> in AUR and put binary packages in official repo's.
>
+1
 
Old 12-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Stefan Husmann
 
Default binary uzbl package(s)?

Dieter Plaetinck schrieb:

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 12:40:05 +0200
Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:



i'll move uzbl-git in community. does anyone have any objection?

do you do tarball releases for stable version?


we provide tarballs for each release. i would keep the git packages
in AUR and put binary packages in official repo's.

Dieter


Hello,

I think more important than the form the sources are hosted (git or tarball)
is if the program is to be considered stable. To me a program is stable if
new versions do only deliver bug fixes and minor improvements. I think this
is the case here. So I would prefer to use the PKGBUILD in AUR over a
to-be-written PKGBUILD for some tarball version, also because the former
is the one which has 427 votes.


BTW, interesting project. I personally prefer conkeror, but uzbl has an
promissing concept.


Regards stefan
 
Old 12-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Dieter Plaetinck
 
Default binary uzbl package(s)?

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 18:01:40 +0100
Stefan Husmann <stefan-husmann@t-online.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think more important than the form the sources are hosted (git or
> tarball) is if the program is to be considered stable. To me a
> program is stable if new versions do only deliver bug fixes and minor
> improvements. I think this is the case here. So I would prefer to use
> the PKGBUILD in AUR over a to-be-written PKGBUILD for some tarball
> version, also because the former is the one which has 427 votes.

Development is quite fast-paced, with a new
release every few weeks, often bringing big changes. api, config
syntax etc are definitely not stable yet.
It makes maintaining packages a bit more work, but IMHO it doesn't
change anything to the pro's and cons of official binary packages vs git
packages in AUR, so I think a binary package is useful.

But Bīru has told me he wants to maintain packages in community, so my
problem is solved.

Dieter
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:09 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org