Old 11-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Evangelos Foutras

Default Package removal?

Peter Lewis wrote:

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that this can now be removed from the AUR:

It was the package for the Qt4 version of pinentry before that was incorporated in the standard pinentry package in [extra].

No maintainer, no-one objected in its comments section...

Cheers,

Pete.

Done.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Jim Byrnes

Emil Payne wrote:

> Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> Shortly after installing Unbuntu I used the Synaptic Package Manager to
>> install Thunderbird 2.0.0.23. I've since manually installed version 3
>> and want to remove the earlier version.
>>
>> I went to the package manager and marked it for removal. At the final
>> step I see this message:

>> 13 packages will be held back and not upgraded
>>
>> 1 package will be removed
>>
>> What is the significance of the 13 packages being "held back"?
>>
>> Will this mess with my 3.0 installation at all?
>>
>> Thanks, Jim
>>

> Normally it means that there are 13 updates waiting to be applied but
> you haven't given it permission. Check your update option, it should
> tell you that there are 13 updates and let you chose which one. Or mark
> all and then go back and unmark any you don't want. Although, if you
> really don't want an update you might consider just removing or
> completely removing the package you don't want.
>
> Emil

I looked in the Thunderbird preferences and under Automatically check
for updates, Thunderbird is checked but it is greyed out. When ever
Ubuntu's Update Manager has notified me of updates I have given it
permission to perform the updates.

Or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Thanks, Jim

Old 01-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Wade Smart

Have you read the Wifi FAQ in the files section.
Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Wade Smart

Crap. Sorry, two emails open and I responded to the wrong one.
Wade

Old 01-22-2010, 01:58 AM
Johnneylee Rollins

<snip>
> Crap. Sorry, two emails open and I responded to the wrong one.
> Wade
<snip>
That didn't bother me as much as your top-posting. Post at the bottom.

~SpaceGhost

Old 01-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Jim Byrnes

Emil Payne wrote:

> Jim Byrnes wrote:

>>> Normally it means that there are 13 updates waiting to be applied but
>>> you haven't given it permission. Check your update option, it should
>>> tell you that there are 13 updates and let you chose which one. Or mark
>>> all and then go back and unmark any you don't want. Although, if you
>>> really don't want an update you might consider just removing or
>>> completely removing the package you don't want.
>>>
>>> Emil
>> I looked in the Thunderbird preferences and under Automatically check
>> for updates, Thunderbird is checked but it is greyed out. When ever
>> Ubuntu's Update Manager has notified me of updates I have given it
>> permission to perform the updates.
>>
>> Or is there somewhere else I should be looking?
>>
>> Thanks, Jim
>>
> These are probably not Thunderbird updates. They are updates for other
> things. You do have notifications from package manager, but sometimes
> you may see the updates in synaptic before you see them in package
> manager. In synaptic there is a big button near the top that sys
> something like "Mark all updates". Click on that and you should see
> what the updates are. If not, then click in the bottom left on "custom
> filters" then above it on the "marked changes" tab. Just make sure your
> "quick search" filter is empty.
>
> Emil

I followed your instructions and it showed one package (acroread) that
needed updating. Not what I expected but now I know a little bit more
about using Ubuntu. Thanks for showing me that.

Regards, Jim

Old 01-22-2010, 02:31 AM
Jim Byrnes

Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> <massive snip>
> I would look into checkinstall and auto-apt
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutoApt
> These help you install programs from source but be able to remove them
> with apt or dpkg.
> If you don't mind the gui program, try out ailurus or ubuntu-tweak
> Those are user friendly.
>
> ~SpaceGhost

OK, at this time I am still more comfortable with gui programs.

Regards, Jim

Old 01-22-2010, 02:31 AM
Emil Payne

Old 01-22-2010, 02:44 AM
NoOp

On 01/21/2010 06:58 PM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> <snip>
>> Crap. Sorry, two emails open and I responded to the wrong one.
>> Wade
> <snip>
> That didn't bother me as much as your top-posting. Post at the bottom.
>
> ~SpaceGhost

Get over it. If you are going to chastise others for top posting, at
least have the courtesy to: 1) offer constructive advise to the OP's
issue, and 2) politely point the OP to
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists/etiquette
[might be a good read for you as well...]