Old 01-22-2010, 04:39 AM
Emil Payne

Default Package removal?

Jim Byrnes wrote:
> Emil Payne wrote:
>> Jim Byrnes wrote:
>>> Shortly after installing Unbuntu I used the Synaptic Package Manager to
>>> install Thunderbird 2.0.0.23. I've since manually installed version 3
>>> and want to remove the earlier version.
>>>
>>> I went to the package manager and marked it for removal. At the final
>>> step I see this message:

>>> 13 packages will be held back and not upgraded
>>>
>>> 1 package will be removed
>>>
>>> What is the significance of the 13 packages being "held back"?
>>>
>>> Will this mess with my 3.0 installation at all?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Jim
>>>
>> Normally it means that there are 13 updates waiting to be applied but
>> you haven't given it permission. Check your update option, it should
>> tell you that there are 13 updates and let you chose which one. Or mark
>> all and then go back and unmark any you don't want. Although, if you
>> really don't want an update you might consider just removing or
>> completely removing the package you don't want.
>>
>> Emil
>
> I looked in the Thunderbird preferences and under Automatically check
> for updates, Thunderbird is checked but it is greyed out. When ever
> Ubuntu's Update Manager has notified me of updates I have given it
> permission to perform the updates.
>
> Or is there somewhere else I should be looking?
>
> Thanks, Jim

These are probably not Thunderbird updates. They are updates for other
things. You do have notifications from package manager, but sometimes
you may see the updates in synaptic before you see them in package
manager. In synaptic there is a big button near the top that sys
something like "Mark all updates". Click on that and you should see
what the updates are. If not, then click in the bottom left on "custom
filters" then above it on the "marked changes" tab. Just make sure your
"quick search" filter is empty.

Emil

Old 01-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Johnneylee Rollins

<massive snip>
I would look into checkinstall and auto-apt
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutoApt
These help you install programs from source but be able to remove them
with apt or dpkg.
If you don't mind the gui program, try out ailurus or ubuntu-tweak
Those are user friendly.

~SpaceGhost

Old 01-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Steve

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 23:59:28 -0000, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Shortly after installing Unbuntu I used the Synaptic Package Manager to
> install Thunderbird 2.0.0.23. I've since manually installed version 3
> and want to remove the earlier version.
>
> I went to the package manager and marked it for removal. At the final
> step I see this message:

> 13 packages will be held back and not upgraded
>
> 1 package will be removed
>
> What is the significance of the 13 packages being "held back"?
>
> Will this mess with my 3.0 installation at all?
>
> Thanks, Jim

I would keep Thunderbird 2 for now as Thunderbird 3 is only a Release
Candidate.

It some times pays to run 'apt-get dist-upgrade' in when packages are held
back as something might require deleting and Synaptic uses safe-upgrade
normally (you can alter this in preferences) and won’t delete packages
when updating.

--
Steve

Old 01-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Markus Schönhaber

22.01.2010 11:41, Steve:

> I would keep Thunderbird 2 for now as Thunderbird 3 is only a Release
> Candidate.

No, TB 3 is final since some time. Recently, 3.0.1 was released.

--
Regards
mks

Old 01-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Steve

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:55:08 -0000, Markus Schönhaber
<ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de> wrote:

> 22.01.2010 11:41, Steve:
>
>> I would keep Thunderbird 2 for now as Thunderbird 3 is only a Release
>> Candidate.
>
> No, TB 3 is final since some time. Recently, 3.0.1 was released.

You’re right it is, I must have been thinking of Firefox 3.6 as I’m trying
to get that back working.

--
Steve

Old 01-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Markus Schönhaber

22.01.2010 12:06, Steve:

> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:55:08 -0000, Markus Schönhaber
> <ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de> wrote:
>
>> 22.01.2010 11:41, Steve:
>>
>>> I would keep Thunderbird 2 for now as Thunderbird 3 is only a Release
>>> Candidate.
>>
>> No, TB 3 is final since some time. Recently, 3.0.1 was released.
>>
> You’re right it is, I must have been thinking of Firefox 3.6

... which is final too :-)

--
Regards
mks

Old 01-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Steve

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:15:55 -0000, Markus Schönhaber
<ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de> wrote:

> 22.01.2010 12:06, Steve:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:55:08 -0000, Markus Schönhaber
>> <ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de> wrote:
>>
>>> 22.01.2010 11:41, Steve:

>>> No, TB 3 is final since some time. Recently, 3.0.1 was released.
>>>
>> You’re right it is, I must have been thinking of Firefox 3.6
>
> ... which is final too :-)

I’m just not keeping up am I :-/

--
Steve