Old 11-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Cedric Staniewski

Default perl-libwww duplicates

Hi,
There are several packages in the AUR which provides exactly the same package as perl-libwww from extra does. Apparently, it is a pacpan related issue and therefore these packages are required by other ones. Deleting them is likely no solution as they will get uploaded again by another pacpan user.

Cedric

=> perl-http-headers

=> perl-http-request

=> perl-http-response

=> perl-lwp-simple

=> perl-lwp-useragent

Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 14:36, Cedric Staniewski <cedric@gmx.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
> There are several packages in the AUR which provides exactly the same package as perl-libwww from extra does. Apparently, it is a pacpan related issue and therefore these packages are required by other ones. Deleting them is likely no solution as they will get uploaded again by another pacpan user.
>
> Cedric
>

> => perl-http-headers
>
> => perl-http-request
>
> => perl-http-response
>
> => perl-lwp-simple
>
> => perl-lwp-useragent

I'm going to cc this to xyne

Old 11-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Xyne

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:19:08 -0500
Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 14:36, Cedric Staniewski <cedric@gmx.ca> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > There are several packages in the AUR which provides exactly the same package as perl-libwww from extra does. Apparently, it is a pacpan related issue and therefore these packages are required by other ones. Deleting them is likely no solution as they will get uploaded again by another pacpan user.
> >
> > Cedric
> >

> > => perl-http-headers
> > http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25730
> >
> > => perl-http-request
> > http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25736
> >
> > => perl-http-response
> > http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25735
> >
> > => perl-lwp-simple
> > http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=27566
> >
> > => perl-lwp-useragent
> > http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25734
> >

> I'm going to cc this to xyne

Thanks.

This is because perl-libwww only provides libwww-perl in the PKGBUILD
when in it actually provides over 50 modules/packages. I'll open a
ticket on the bug tracker and then take care of the listed pacakges in
the AUR.

I'll post any updates here.

Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to ask everyone packaging CPAN
modules to at least look at the provides string generated by pacpan. It
cross-references all names with their associated source files to
generate a comprehensive list.

Regards,
Xyne

Old 11-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Xyne

> Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to ask everyone packaging CPAN
> modules to at least look at the provides string generated by pacpan. It
> cross-references all names with their associated source files to
> generate a comprehensive list.

I've moved it into [community] now, so it's be easily accessible.
I'll remove the AUR package once the repos have synchronized.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Cedric Staniewski

Xyne wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:19:08 -0500
> Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 14:36, Cedric Staniewski <cedric@gmx.ca> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> There are several packages in the AUR which provides exactly the same package as perl-libwww from extra does. Apparently, it is a pacpan related issue and therefore these packages are required by other ones. Deleting them is likely no solution as they will get uploaded again by another pacpan user.
>>>
>>> Cedric
>>>

>>> => perl-http-headers
>>> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25730
>>>
>>> => perl-http-request
>>> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25736
>>>
>>> => perl-http-response
>>> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25735
>>>
>>> => perl-lwp-simple
>>> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=27566
>>>
>>> => perl-lwp-useragent
>>> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25734
>>>
>> I'm going to cc this to xyne
>

> Thanks.
>

> This is because perl-libwww only provides libwww-perl in the PKGBUILD
> when in it actually provides over 50 modules/packages. I'll open a
> ticket on the bug tracker and then take care of the listed pacakges in
> the AUR.
>
> I'll post any updates here.

Thanks. I thought about that again and am curious if there is a name
convention for CPAN source files. It might make sense to set pkgname to
'perl-' the name of the source file (lowercase and without version and
suffix, of course) by default in pacpan generated PKGBUILDs, even though
libwww is an exception again.

> Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to ask everyone packaging CPAN
> modules to at least look at the provides string generated by pacpan. It
> cross-references all names with their associated source files to
> generate a comprehensive list.

They should definitely look at the PKGBUILD before uploading them. I
have seen provide arrays with items like 'modulename=undef' and there is
a new license introduced by these PKGBUILDs called '~'. But that is the
drawback of such tools; they make it so easy to generate PKGBUILDs and
thus you get quantity but often less quality.

> Regards,
> Xyne

Thu Nov 12 14:30:01 2009