Old 11-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Angel Velásquez

Default Moving packages to community

Hi everyone,

I'd like to move the following packages to community:

1) pspshrink [1]
2) ntlmaps [2]

In fact I am writting a wiki page about using ntlmaps through the Arch
Linux Installation for complementing the begginer guide .

Opinions?

Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net
Arch Linux Trusted User
Linux Counter: #359909
http://www.angvp.com

Old 12-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Ike Devolder

Thx guys for letting me know you would move some packages from AUR to community

thats really stimulating to contribute something

if you dont know what i'm talking about

- libssh2 ( i picked it up after bash dropped it in AUR)
- podofo (cant remember how i picked it up)

It would just be a little polite , just to let someone know the move will be done

cant be that hard to send a mail

Old 12-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Kaiting Chen

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Ike Devolder <ike.devolder@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thx guys for letting me know you would move some packages from AUR to
> community
>
> thats really stimulating to contribute something
>
> if you dont know what i'm talking about
>
> - libssh2 ( i picked it up after bash dropped it in AUR)
> - podofo (cant remember how i picked it up)
>
> It would just be a little polite , just to let someone know the move will
> be done
>
> cant be that hard to send a mail

I'm confused, are you the maintainer of these packages in the AUR? Usually
we will notify the maintainer of a package if it is moved from [unsupported]
to [community]. --Kaiting.

--
Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/

Old 12-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Andrea Scarpino

On Sunday, December 05, 2010 11:21:16 AM Kaiting Chen wrote:
> I'm confused, are you the maintainer of these packages in the AUR? Usually
> we will notify the maintainer of a package if it is moved from [unsupported]
> to [community]. --Kaiting.
Seems that Sergej didn't this time...

--
Andrea Scarpino
Arch Linux Developer

Old 12-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Ike Devolder

On Sunday 05 December 2010 17:21:16 Kaiting Chen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Ike Devolder <ike.devolder@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Thx guys for letting me know you would move some packages from AUR to
> > community
> >
> > thats really stimulating to contribute something
> >
> > if you dont know what i'm talking about
> >
> > - libssh2 ( i picked it up after bash dropped it in AUR)
> > - podofo (cant remember how i picked it up)
> >
> > It would just be a little polite , just to let someone know the move will
> > be done
> >
> > cant be that hard to send a mail
> >

> I'm confused, are you the maintainer of these packages in the AUR? Usually
> we will notify the maintainer of a package if it is moved from [unsupported]
> to [community]. --Kaiting.

We'll so it seems yes, both packages moved to community without any notification

or it should be google doesnt like those guys and blocks their mails for me

It doesnt matter who did it, its just not very pleaseant you have to find out when you see an rss feed or come on the site and see its in community

just a simple mail would just be nicer

Old 02-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Gergely Imreh

Hi,

Recently a couple of my packages have been moved to Community but the
process feels a little uneasy to me.

My impression is that AUR is treated as a "second class" source of
packages compared to the official repos. Not surprising, of course, so
many packages have problems. This is also underlined by the fact that
yaourt and other AUR managers are not allowed in the official repos,
as "not to give the impression that AUR is official" (paraphrasing
what I've read before).

If there is indeed this divide, it feels more than little weird, that
popular packages are just taken in to Community without even asking
the current managers. It gives me the message that "AUR has no value,
except when we say it has, at which time thanks for your work but now
bugger off". I beg your pardon, if it comes through too harsh. I
wouldn't have objected to have those packages moved. I, however,
object to unilateral decisions.

My proposition is: could it be a policy to check with the maintainer
first before initiating a move? If someone wants to keep a package
then they should be able to, especially since they could not have been
doing such a a bad job if their package has become popular.

Cheers,
Greg

Old 02-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Thomas S Hatch

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Gergely Imreh <imrehg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently a couple of my packages have been moved to Community but the
> process feels a little uneasy to me.
>
> My impression is that AUR is treated as a "second class" source of
> packages compared to the official repos. Not surprising, of course, so
> many packages have problems. This is also underlined by the fact that
> yaourt and other AUR managers are not allowed in the official repos,
> as "not to give the impression that AUR is official" (paraphrasing
> what I've read before).
>
> If there is indeed this divide, it feels more than little weird, that
> popular packages are just taken in to Community without even asking
> the current managers. It gives me the message that "AUR has no value,
> except when we say it has, at which time thanks for your work but now
> bugger off". I beg your pardon, if it comes through too harsh. I
> wouldn't have objected to have those packages moved. I, however,
> object to unilateral decisions.
>
> My proposition is: could it be a policy to check with the maintainer
> first before initiating a move? If someone wants to keep a package
> then they should be able to, especially since they could not have been
> doing such a a bad job if their package has become popular.
>
> Cheers,
> Greg

Greg, You have a valid point, personally I have always asked the maintainer
of a package for objections before moving a package into community. I also
want to continue to express my deep gratitude for the packagers who
contribute to the AUR. They are really the frontline in Arch development,
the blood on the knife's edge.

We as trusted users need to show the devs in the AUR the utmost respect and
appreciation. I would also like to point out:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TU_Person_Specification
All TUs we should adhere to the first bullet under "At Least" on this wiki
entry.

I hope that my fellow TUs agree that we should give AUR contributors the
utmost respect, they deserve it.

A behavior of respect will help us, the TUs, improve Arch, it will allow us
to bring more people onto the Arch development teams, and continue our march
to making Arch greater.

-Thomas S Hatch
-Arch Linux Trusted User

Old 02-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Ángel Velásquez

2011/2/5 Gergely Imreh <imrehg@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Recently a couple of my packages have been moved to Community but the
> process feels a little uneasy to me.

First of all remove that "my" before packages, that's a problem, some
maintainers thinks that they're owners of the PKGBUILD, and isn't like
this, all PKGBUILDS belongs to the Arch Linux project, and you
contribute with them if you want, isn't an obligation.

> My impression is that AUR is treated as a "second class" source of
> packages compared to the official repos. Not surprising, of course, so
> many packages have problems. This is also underlined by the fact that
> yaourt and other AUR managers are not allowed in the official repos,
> as "not to give the impression that AUR is official" (paraphrasing
> what I've read before).

Not at all, many of the packages on official repos belongs to AUR in
sometime, AUR is a playground, where you can find scripts for install
(PKGBUILD) experimental software.

> If there is indeed this divide, it feels more than little weird, that
> popular packages are just taken in to Community without even asking
> the current managers. It gives me the message that "AUR has no value,
> except when we say it has, at which time thanks for your work but now
> bugger off". I beg your pardon, if it comes through too harsh. I
> wouldn't have objected to have those packages moved. I, however,
> object to unilateral decisions.
>
> My proposition is: could it be a policy to check with the maintainer
> first before initiating a move? If someone wants to keep a package
> then they should be able to, especially since they could not have been
> doing such a a bad job if their package has become popular.

Absolutely no, as I said PKGBUILD doesn't belongs to anybody, just the
project, if a Dev or TU take one of them and move it to any official
repo is good to you, that means that the software that you were
packaging by hand it will be on binary 'cause is pretty stable and not
experimental at all.

I understand your point about, I'm giving my time and receive nothing,
well dude, you should give without expecting anything, and you will be
more happier. I also understand the point about TU/Devs didn't said
anything to the PKGBUILD that you were maintaining will become a
package, well, maybe a little courtesy from the TU or Dev who did this
is good, but he doesn't have to ask your permission, remember you
contribute with the project giving your effort on those PKGBUILD but
that doesn't imply that you are owner of those PKGBUILD.

Thanks for contributing with the Arch Linux project, And I hope now
you will contribute without hoping regalies or something.

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net

Old 02-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Lukas Fleischer

On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 11:45:20AM -0700, Thomas S Hatch wrote:
> Greg, You have a valid point, personally I have always asked the maintainer
> of a package for objections before moving a package into community. I also
> want to continue to express my deep gratitude for the packagers who
> contribute to the AUR. They are really the frontline in Arch development,
> the blood on the knife's edge.
>
> We as trusted users need to show the devs in the AUR the utmost respect and
> appreciation. I would also like to point out:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TU_Person_Specification
> All TUs we should adhere to the first bullet under "At Least" on this wiki
> entry.
>
> I hope that my fellow TUs agree that we should give AUR contributors the
> utmost respect, they deserve it.
>
> A behavior of respect will help us, the TUs, improve Arch, it will allow us
> to bring more people onto the Arch development teams, and continue our march
> to making Arch greater.

I personally asked for objections using AUR comments in most cases and
waited some days before moving stuff. Nevertheless, I don't see a huge
problem with just moving stuff. Moving a package to the binary repos
shouldn't be regarded as stealing but as an improvement for the
community. The AUR ain't a place for competitions (like "Which package
has the most votes?" or "Who maintains the coolest packages?") but a
place to provide source packages until a TU/Dev steps up and maintains
the package in [community]/[extra]/[core].

Still, I'd prefer to have some announcement before moving a package. And
another one just before removing it (so that users being notified about
a package become aware of the move). AUR comments seem to be the
appropriate place for this.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Thomas S Hatch

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Lukas Fleischer
<archlinux@cryptocrack.de>wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 11:45:20AM -0700, Thomas S Hatch wrote:
> > Greg, You have a valid point, personally I have always asked the
> maintainer
> > of a package for objections before moving a package into community. I
> also
> > want to continue to express my deep gratitude for the packagers who
> > contribute to the AUR. They are really the frontline in Arch development,
> > the blood on the knife's edge.
> >
> > We as trusted users need to show the devs in the AUR the utmost respect
> and
> > appreciation. I would also like to point out:
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TU_Person_Specification
> > All TUs we should adhere to the first bullet under "At Least" on this
> wiki
> > entry.
> >
> > I hope that my fellow TUs agree that we should give AUR contributors the
> > utmost respect, they deserve it.
> >
> > A behavior of respect will help us, the TUs, improve Arch, it will allow
> us
> > to bring more people onto the Arch development teams, and continue our
> march
> > to making Arch greater.
>
> I personally asked for objections using AUR comments in most cases and
> waited some days before moving stuff. Nevertheless, I don't see a huge
> problem with just moving stuff. Moving a package to the binary repos
> shouldn't be regarded as stealing but as an improvement for the
> community. The AUR ain't a place for competitions (like "Which package
> has the most votes?" or "Who maintains the coolest packages?") but a
> place to provide source packages until a TU/Dev steps up and maintains
> the package in [community]/[extra]/[core].
>
> Still, I'd prefer to have some announcement before moving a package. And
> another one just before removing it (so that users being notified about
> a package become aware of the move). AUR comments seem to be the
> appropriate place for this.

Angel has many good and valid points, I am proud of my contributions to open
source and to Arch. My willingness to give without the expectation of
receiving anything back has given me, personally, much more than I could
have expected. Also it is true, that what you submit to the AUR, Arch
reserves rights to.

But these points should not reduce the fact that a person contributed the
package, and even when I have had to completely rewrite a PKGBUILD before
moving the package to community I still think that it is important to
recognize the maintainer who paved the road.

I am going to maintain, that a TU is not to be required to contact the AUR
maintainer, but it is the courteous thing to do, and that we should develop
and maintain an atmosphere of respect.

To reiterate Lukas, notifications should ALWAYS be placed before deleting
AUR packages and moving AUR packages to community. Thats how I would draw
the line, posting the comments about moves and deletions should be
mandatory, and contacting the maintainer should be a strongly encouraged
courtesy.

-Thomas S Hatch