Old 11-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi

Default script to check a binary package for architecture-independence

Chris Brannon wrote:
> Here's a script to check the architecture-independence of a binary package.
> It only checks to see whether or not a tarball contains files that start
> with the ELF magic number, bytes 0x7f E L F.
> Maybe someone will find it useful.
>
> -- Chris

Hello

There is no attach here.

[1] But only doing this check (ELF signature) is just a necessary
condition but not sufficient.
[2] Should also check the machine (sufficient), because there are
packages for example AVR and ARM that from point of view of -any are
"architecture-independence". (some "crazy" :P packages have SPARC ELFs)
[3] And also (I din't see the script, so i just suppose), you also need
to exactarc archives files (.a) and analize the content of each object
with [1] and [2]

Good Luck!

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera )
http://www.djgera.com.ar

Old 11-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Firmicus

Chris Brannon wrote:
> Here's a script to check the architecture-independence of a binary package.
> It only checks to see whether or not a tarball contains files that start
> with the ELF magic number, bytes 0x7f E L F.
> Maybe someone will find it useful.
>
> -- Chris

Thanks Chris. However I think Gerardo has already written such a script,
and the result is available on this page:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Unimportant_Rebuild_List#Packages_th at_can_be_converted_to_arch.3Dany
(which also includes community)

Old 11-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Firmicus

Daenyth Blank wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 09:48, Firmicus <Firmicus@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Chris. However I think Gerardo has already written such a script,
>>
> I think he said he did it manually, or with a one-time bash hack

RIght, and I also wrote that the list on the wiki includes community,
which is simply wrong. Sorry! So, yes Chris, your contribution is more
than welcome!

Old 11-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Thomas Bächler

Chris Brannon schrieb:

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:

Hello

There is no attach here.

The script is here: http://the-brannons.com/isanypkg
The attachment must have been scrubbed. Plus, gmail doesn't give me copies of
mail that I send to the list. Broken, broken gmail!

[2] Should also check the machine (sufficient), because there are
packages for example AVR and ARM that from point of view of -any are
"architecture-independence". (some "crazy" :P packages have SPARC ELFs)
[3] And also (I din't see the script, so i just suppose), you also need
to exactarc archives files (.a) and analize the content of each object

Thanks so much for your insight! Your guess was right; I forgot about
members of ar archives.

On second thought, I wonder if these sorts of checks should be done
within namcap?

They should. Two checks:
1) Is an arch=any package architecture-dependent -> error
2) Is an arch=whatever package architecture-independent -> warning

If you know python and have the time, you should write a patch against
namcap.git and mail it to Hugo. I told him once that it's a good
feature, no idea if he got to it. You can check namcap.git to see if he
did something, and check the bugtracker if there is a feature request
already.

Yay, I just looked at the script and it is in python already, so I guess
a patch for namcap is in order