Old 11-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Chris Brannon

Default script to check a binary package for architecture-independence

Here's a script to check the architecture-independence of a binary package.
It only checks to see whether or not a tarball contains files that start
with the ELF magic number, bytes 0x7f E L F.
Maybe someone will find it useful.

-- Chris

Old 11-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Andrea Scarpino

On 02/11/2009, Chris Brannon <cmbrannon79@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a script to check the architecture-independence of a binary package.
> It only checks to see whether or not a tarball contains files that start
> with the ELF magic number, bytes 0x7f E L F.
> Maybe someone will find it useful.
Here, where?

--
Andrea `bash` Scarpino
Arch Linux Developer

Old 11-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Chris Brannon

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
> Hello
>
> There is no attach here.

The script is here: http://the-brannons.com/isanypkg
The attachment must have been scrubbed. Plus, gmail doesn't give me copies of
mail that I send to the list. Broken, broken gmail!

> [2] Should also check the machine (sufficient), because there are
> packages for example AVR and ARM that from point of view of -any are
> "architecture-independence". (some "crazy" :P packages have SPARC ELFs)
> [3] And also (I din't see the script, so i just suppose), you also need
> to exactarc archives files (.a) and analize the content of each object

Thanks so much for your insight! Your guess was right; I forgot about
members of ar archives.

On second thought, I wonder if these sorts of checks should be done
within namcap?

-- Chris

Old 11-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 09:48, Firmicus <Firmicus@gmx.net> wrote:
> Thanks Chris. However I think Gerardo has already written such a script,
I think he said he did it manually, or with a one-time bash hack

Old 11-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Abhishek Dasgupta

2009/11/2 Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org>:
> Chris Brannon schrieb:
>> On second thought, I wonder if these sorts of checks should be done
>> within namcap?
>
> They should. Two checks:
> 1) Is an arch=any package architecture-dependent -> error
> 2) Is an arch=whatever package architecture-independent -> warning
>
> If you know python and have the time, you should write a patch against
> namcap.git and mail it to Hugo. I told him once that it's a good feature, no
> idea if he got to it. You can check namcap.git to see if he did something,
> and check the bugtracker if there is a feature request already.

It's not in namcap.git. You could look at elfflies.py - that already checks for
ELF files in the package. This would fit in neatly there.

Abhishek