Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Brandon Martin

Default System cleaning?

You would think that I would have been using arch long enough to know
how to do this buy I don't. I was using gnome then I tried to
uninstall it and I used kdemod for a little while but know I want to
use gnome again. I uninstalled kdemod and reinstalled gnome but it
just doesn't seem as snappy as it was before. Plus I have easytag
installed and when I click the home folder from the places menu it
opened easytag. On top of that when I was connected to a remote FTP
and I try to edit and save something I get a gvfs error. This use to
work fine before. In the past I have usually just done a fresh install
because I am weird about having only what I need installed and have
never taken the time to learn all I can do with pacman.

So my main question is can how do I do a major cleaning removing what
I don't need and how do I check if I am missing something I do need
since I am running into a few oddities. What is the best way to get my
system clean and mean.

Thanks for any insight.

--
Brandon Martin

Old 03-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Andrei Thorp

You can do

pacman -Qdt to list all packages that were installed as dependencies
but are no longer required. You can then take these packages and
remove them. You can do this automatically like:

pacman -Qdt | sed "s/ .*//" | sudo xargs pacman -Rs

This will delete all packages that are installed as a result of
unneeded dependencies. In the future, use pacman -Rs to not have to do
this (rather than pacman -R).

Also, consider switching to ext4 and doing a defrag when you're at it.
ext4+defrag has extends that cause shorter seek time.

Cheers,

-AT

Old 03-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Andrei Thorp

Sorry, better use:

pacman -Rs $(pacman -Qdt | sed "s/ .*//")

-AT

Old 03-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:54, Andrei Thorp <garoth@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, better use:
>
> pacman -Rs $(pacman -Qdt | sed "s/ .*//")
>
> -AT

Or pacman -Rs $(pacman -Qqdt)

Old 03-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Loui Chang

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:54:44PM -0400, Andrei Thorp wrote:
> Sorry, better use:
>
> pacman -Rs $(pacman -Qdt | sed "s/ .*//")

pacman -Qqdt