Old 03-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Cilyan Olowen

Default Redirection of package

I was wondering if it is possible to redirect one package to another,
and if it was possible in unsupported.

For example, python bindings for poppler are currently, but probably
will stay like this, a bazaar repository. The fact is, as it is the
official way of obtaining the software, the package should be
python-poppler. But, as it is a bzr, it should be python-poppler-bzr
too and so will beneficiate the makepkg functionality to update to the
last repository version.

Another package needs the bindings, but as it is the functionnality
that are needed and not a particular way of obtention, I think it is
better to request python-poppler. So, for the requirement to be
installed automatically, it is better for the package to be named
python-poppler.

Finally, it could be great if the package python-poppler was
redirected to python-poppler-bzr. And if a stable packaged version of
the software arise, the two packages could be dissociated
transparently.

Is it possible ?

Cilyan

Old 03-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Allan McRae

Cilyan Olowen wrote:

[...]

"man PKGBUILD" and look at provides. Probably want to set conflicts too.

Allan

Old 03-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Cilyan Olowen

Thanks, but as far as I know (it's restrictive !) the "provides" array
does not allow pacman or any other AUR building tool to find a
replacement package if the one that it is looking for does not exist.

I mean, I'm not looking for an option to say "I provide this" but
rather "You won't find that, but try this, it will provide what you
are looking for".

Cilyan

Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Ronald van Haren

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Cilyan Olowen <gaknar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, but as far as I know (it's restrictive !) the "provides" array
> does not allow pacman or any other AUR building tool to find a
> replacement package if the one that it is looking for does not exist.
>
> I mean, I'm not looking for an option to say "I provide this" but
> rather "You won't find that, but try this, it will provide what you
> are looking for".
>
> Cilyan

at least pacman does , for example
######
sudo pacman -S efreet
warning: provider package was selected (efreet-svn provides efreet)
######
not sure about AUR building tools, I don't use them.

Ronald

Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Cilyan Olowen

Ah, okay, I didn't know pacman could do that. So this answers my question

Thanks a lot !

Old 03-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Loui Chang

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:56:20AM +0100, Cilyan Olowen wrote:
> I was wondering if it is possible to redirect one package to another,
> and if it was possible in unsupported.
>
> For example, python bindings for poppler are currently, but probably
> will stay like this, a bazaar repository. The fact is, as it is the
> official way of obtaining the software, the package should be
> python-poppler. But, as it is a bzr, it should be python-poppler-bzr
> too and so will beneficiate the makepkg functionality to update to the
> last repository version.
>
> Another package needs the bindings, but as it is the functionnality
> that are needed and not a particular way of obtention, I think it is
> better to request python-poppler. So, for the requirement to be
> installed automatically, it is better for the package to be named
> python-poppler.
>
> Finally, it could be great if the package python-poppler was
> redirected to python-poppler-bzr. And if a stable packaged version of
> the software arise, the two packages could be dissociated
> transparently.

The AUR doesn't store any of the provides data, so it isn't possible in
unsupported. This would definitely be a feature to consider though.