Old 03-20-2009, 11:04 AM
xyne

Default TU Application: Xyne

Hi all,

I'd like to apply to become a TU. Allan has agreed to be my sponsor.

My reasons for wanting to become a TU are the following:
I want to help out, improve Arch in general and give back to the distro (the typical clichéd response, but true nonetheless).
I intend to eventually maintain some of my own packages in the community repo (not only them though).
I hope to learn more about what goes on behind the scenes.
I want to participate in decisions that affect Arch.
Everyone keeps telling me to become a TU.
I heard TUs get free tacos.

As for packaging experience, I currently maintain 24 packages in the AUR (under the same name) and I host a public repo on my site (http://xyne.archlinux.ca/repositories). I've also played around with a few local repos (e.g. metapax pkgs, local AUR binary repos, customized ABS packages) and have written some tools that deal with pkg and repo creation and maintenance (makerepo, metapax, pacpan).

I'll admit that many of the PKGBUILDs for my own tools are trivial but some of the ones I maintain in the AUR aren't. I've also managed to work my way through the (g)vi(m) PKGBUILDs and scripts to get them to build with the latest patch level at the time :P . Overall, I still consider myself somewhat new to Linux and I haven't yet had to patch anything myself or deal with really complicated build errors, but I'm sure that I'll learn how to handle such issues as I'm learning the rest of it. I tend to know my own limits and generally don't dive into things that I can't handle, so you don't have to worry about me borking anything.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm quite active on the forum so you can probably get a general idea of who I am from my posts there.

Thanks for considering this application.

/Xyne

Old 03-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Daenyth Blank

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 08:04, xyne <xyne@archlinux.ca> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to apply to become a TU. Allan has agreed to be my sponsor.
> <snip>

Glad to hear you're finally making the step! I look forward to having
you on the team

Old 03-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Ghost1227

I'd like to apply to become a TU. Allan has agreed to be my sponsor.

I was wondering if you'd ever get around to making the plunge...

I heard TUs get free tacos.

Free tacos? Where? I musta missed that memo... CACTUS!!!

--
Daniel J Griffiths (Ghost1227)
griffithsdj@archlinux.us

Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Allan McRae

xyne wrote:

Hi all,

I'd like to apply to become a TU. Allan has agreed to be my sponsor.

Yes I have! Discussion period starting now.

Allan

Old 03-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Dieter Plaetinck

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:04:51 +0100
xyne <xyne@archlinux.ca> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to apply to become a TU. Allan has agreed to be my sponsor.

Good to hear. You make some cool tools for Arch. So I think it's a
good idea if you would also get involved in the arch toolchain
discussions.

Dieter