Old 03-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Chris Brannon

Default TU application: Chris Brannon

Hello everyone!
I wish to become an ArchLinux Trusted User. To that end, here
is a bit of information pertaining to me.

I started using Linux in the summer of 2000. Before that time, I used
Unix shell accounts offered by various Internet service providers.
I've been using some flavor of *nix since 1995.
I'm blind, and I've always worked from a text console. Dialup Unix shell
accounts had mostly vanished by 2000, so I installed Slackware.

I used Slackware until early 2007, and I learned a great deal about Linux
in the process. I could describe my reasons for dropping Slackware, but
I won't. It's a fine distribution, and the answer to the "which distribution
is best" question is mostly subjective.
After looking at several distros, I settled on Arch in September
of 2008. Moving to Arch was easy for me, because of my years of experience
with Slackware.

Currently, I maintain 8 packages in unsupported, and this number is growing.
See the following URL for my work:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=cmb
My username on the BBS, AUR, and wiki is cmb.

I want to do my part to make ArchLinux more accessible to the blind.
My first order of business is to submit two packages to the community
repository: speakup and espeakup.
These two packages provide one reliable method of supplying spoken output from
the text console under Linux.

I will endeavor to faithfully represent the interests of the whole
ArchLinux user community, not just those of the tiny subset who are blind.

Allan McRae is my sponsor. Thank you Allan.

With kind regards,
-- Chris