Old 03-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

Default Delete duplicate xampp package

Currently, there are two packages for xampp that do the same thing:
xampp-linux, which was there two years earlier and just xampp.
The xampp PKGBUILD is pretty much the xampp-linux PKGBUILD with
added stuff for taking care of x86_64 because the regular xampp-linux
package
will not work properly with x86_64.

Therefore, this situation is a little complicated. I propose the
deletion of the xampp package
and notification of the xampp-linux package maintainer in order to make
the package
x86_64 compatible.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 16:45, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com> wrote:
> Currently, there are two packages for xampp that do the same thing:
> xampp-linux, which was there two years earlier and just xampp.
> The xampp PKGBUILD is pretty much the xampp-linux PKGBUILD with
> added stuff for taking care of x86_64 because the regular xampp-linux
> package
> will not work properly with x86_64.
>
> Therefore, this situation is a little complicated. I propose the
> deletion of the xampp package
> and notification of the xampp-linux package maintainer in order to make
> the package
> x86_64 compatible.

Which is the proper name though? If the xampp PKGBUILD is better, and
that's how it should be named, we should keep that one, perhaps orphan
it so the original maintainer can take care of it

Old 03-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

On 16.03.2009 21:56, Daenyth Blank wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 16:45, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com> wrote:
>
>> Currently, there are two packages for xampp that do the same thing:
>> xampp-linux, which was there two years earlier and just xampp.
>> The xampp PKGBUILD is pretty much the xampp-linux PKGBUILD with
>> added stuff for taking care of x86_64 because the regular xampp-linux
>> package
>> will not work properly with x86_64.
>>
>> Therefore, this situation is a little complicated. I propose the
>> deletion of the xampp package
>> and notification of the xampp-linux package maintainer in order to make
>> the package
>> x86_64 compatible.
>>

> Which is the proper name though? If the xampp PKGBUILD is better, and
> that's how it should be named, we should keep that one, perhaps orphan
> it so the original maintainer can take care of it

Technically, xampp-linux is correct because the xampp package for Linux
contains different applications and plugins than the packages for
Windows, Mac OS X der Solaris. Also, the xampp-linux package got there
first and boasts most votes.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Ghost1227

Daenyth Blank wrote:

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 16:45, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com> wrote:

Currently, there are two packages for xampp that do the same thing:
xampp-linux, which was there two years earlier and just xampp.
The xampp PKGBUILD is pretty much the xampp-linux PKGBUILD with
added stuff for taking care of x86_64 because the regular xampp-linux
package
will not work properly with x86_64.

Therefore, this situation is a little complicated. I propose the
deletion of the xampp package
and notification of the xampp-linux package maintainer in order to make
the package
x86_64 compatible.

Which is the proper name though? If the xampp PKGBUILD is better, and
that's how it should be named, we should keep that one, perhaps orphan
it so the original maintainer can take care of it

xampp is the proper name... the addition of -linux to the end of the
name is redundant (especially on a linux system). I concur with
Daenyth's recommendation, the properly named/more updated package should
be orphaned so that the original maintainer can take over, assuming that
he or she wishes to.

--
Daniel J Griffiths (Ghost1227)
griffithsdj@archlinux.us

Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 17:06, Ghost1227 <ghost1227@archlinux.us> wrote:
> Daenyth Blank wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 16:45, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Currently, there are two packages for xampp that do the same thing:
>>> xampp-linux, which was there two years earlier and just xampp.
>>> The xampp PKGBUILD is pretty much the xampp-linux PKGBUILD with
>>> added stuff for taking care of x86_64 because the regular xampp-linux
>>> package
>>> will not work properly with x86_64.
>>>
>>> Therefore, this situation is a little complicated. I propose the
>>> deletion of the xampp package
>>> and notification of the xampp-linux package maintainer in order to make
>>> the package
>>> x86_64 compatible.
>>>

>> Which is the proper name though? If the xampp PKGBUILD is better, and
>> that's how it should be named, we should keep that one, perhaps orphan
>> it so the original maintainer can take care of it
>>

> xampp is the proper name... the addition of -linux to the end of the name is
> redundant (especially on a linux system). I concur with Daenyth's
> recommendation, the properly named/more updated package should be orphaned
> so that the original maintainer can take over, assuming that he or she
> wishes to.
>
> --
> Daniel J Griffiths (Ghost1227)
> griffithsdj@archlinux.us
> http://ghost1227.com

+1

I'm CC'ing this to both maintainers so that we can get their input on
this before we switch anything around.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Josť Valecillos

I've already fixed x86_64 support.
Ok, In this case after Jeff orphan her package I'll take it, therefore
please delete xampp-linux. But, what happen with the 45 votes of
xampp-linux?. You must take into account that.
--
Josť Valecillos

Old 03-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Daenyth Blank

2009/3/16 Josť Valecillos <valecillosjg@gmail.com>:
> I've already fixed x86_64 support.
> Ok, In this case after Jeff orphan her package I'll take it, therefore
> please delete xampp-linux. But, what happen with the 45 votes of
> xampp-linux?. You must take into account that.
> --
> Josť Valecillos

Unfortunately there's not really a way to transfer them over... I'll
talk to one of the AUR admins and see if he will tweak it by hand
perhaps.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Daenyth Blank

2009/3/16 Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com>:
> 2009/3/16 Josť Valecillos <valecillosjg@gmail.com>:
>> I've already fixed x86_64 support.
>> Ok, In this case after Jeff orphan her package I'll take it, therefore
>> please delete xampp-linux. But, what happen with the 45 votes of
>> xampp-linux?. You must take into account that.
>> --
>> Josť Valecillos
>>

> Unfortunately there's not really a way to transfer them over... I'll
> talk to one of the AUR admins and see if he will tweak it by hand
> perhaps.

Loui said he would look into it, so I will wait on before deleting either.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Loui Chang

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 07:57:35PM -0400, Daenyth Blank wrote:
> 2009/3/16 Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com>:
> > 2009/3/16 Josť Valecillos <valecillosjg@gmail.com>:
> >> I've already fixed x86_64 support.
> >> Ok, In this case after Jeff orphan her package I'll take it, therefore
> >> please delete xampp-linux. But, what happen with the 45 votes of
> >> xampp-linux?. You must take into account that.
> >> --
> >> Josť Valecillos
> >>

> > Unfortunately there's not really a way to transfer them over... I'll
> > talk to one of the AUR admins and see if he will tweak it by hand
> > perhaps.
>
> Loui said he would look into it, so I will wait on before deleting either.

I just renamed xampp-linux to xampp.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Josť Valecillos

Thanks