Old 03-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Angel Velásquez

Default gnash removed from aur

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Paride Legovini
<legovini@spiro.fisica.unipd.it> wrote:
> I was willing to maintain a package in aur for Gnash, the GNU SWF
> player. I published it today, but it has been removed without any
> warning. Can I have en explanation for this?
>
> I know the same package is already in extra/, but it's orphan and
> outdated.
>
> p.

Hi, first of all, Thanks for contributing with the Arch Linux Project.

Technically is prohibited duplicate packages, *even if yours is
updated than one existent on repos*.. (I said technically because you
can add the -{svn,git,cvs,bzr,etc} version of that package and is not
a duplication at all).

Unfortunately, you should wait for a while until a Dev decides to
adopt and update it, I guess you can ask on this list if some dev can
drop this package from extra and move it to unsupported, then you will
be able to maintain it.. (but eventually this doesn't happen, being
frankly)

Aditionally you can add the PKGBUILD and maybe, some dev can update
the package and maybe he will use your PKGBUILD or part of them..

So, the TU or Dev who deleted your package should (just for being
nice) sent you an e-mail giving you details about why your your
package was removed.

Cheers!

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net

Old 03-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Paride Legovini

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 03:47:48PM +0000, Angel Velásquez wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Paride Legovini
> <legovini@spiro.fisica.unipd.it> wrote:
> > I was willing to maintain a package in aur for Gnash, the GNU SWF
> > player. I published it today, but it has been removed without any
> > warning. Can I have en explanation for this?
> >
> > I know the same package is already in extra/, but it's orphan and
> > outdated.
>
> Technically is prohibited duplicate packages, *even if yours is
> updated than one existent on repos*

Thank you for the explanation, I thought that orphan packages could be
an exception to this rule.

> Unfortunately, you should wait for a while until a Dev decides to
> adopt and update it, I guess you can ask on this list if some dev can
> drop this package from extra and move it to unsupported, then you will
> be able to maintain it.. (but eventually this doesn't happen, being
> frankly)

Then I do it now
I'm willing to maintain it, I hope I can help.

> Aditionally you can add the PKGBUILD and maybe, some dev can update
> the package and maybe he will use your PKGBUILD or part of them..

I'm attaching the PKGBUILD. It's different from the PKGBUILD of the
package in extra/ (simpler, uses ffmpeg instead of gstreamer, ...).

> So, the TU or Dev who deleted your package should (just for being
> nice) sent you an e-mail giving you details about why your your
> package was removed.

I hope so.
Thank you,
pl

Old 03-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Andrei Thorp

Simpler sounds nice, but I'm not so sure about the "uses ffmpeg
instead" bit -- perhaps there should be two packages if such a choice
has to be made?

-Andrei "Garoth" Thorp

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Paride Legovini

Old 03-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Paride Legovini

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:11:20AM -0700, Andrei Thorp wrote:
> Simpler sounds nice, but I'm not so sure about the "uses ffmpeg
> instead" bit -- perhaps there should be two packages if such a choice
> has to be made?

Well, the choice has to be made, and making two packages is a solution.
Personally I prefer ffmpeg, and as far as I read it has a broader
support for codecs used in FLV videos. Even when compiled against
gstreamer, decoding of such videos (e.g. youtube ones) require
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, so it seems to me that using ffmpeg directly is a
more linear approach.

p.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Andrei Thorp

Well, that's a decent point also -- if gstreamer can use ffmpeg as a
backend, does it not superscede ffmpeg? It's reasonable to assume that
this means that gstreamer "supports all of ffmpeg plus a little bit of
extra". Regardless, I think in the spirit of letting users do whatever
they want, multiple packages is the way to go.

-Andrei "Garoth" Thorp

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Paride Legovini

Old 03-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Ronald van Haren

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Andrei Thorp <garoth@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regardless, I think in the spirit of letting users do whatever
> they want, multiple packages is the way to go.

In general we have ABS for those cases. A different package for each
different set of config flags is no solution.

Ronald

Old 03-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 15:02, Ronald van Haren <pressh@gmail.com> wrote:
> In general we have ABS for those cases. A different package for each
> different set of config flags is no solution.
>
> Ronald

+1

Old 03-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Paride Legovini

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:47:03AM -0700, Andrei Thorp wrote:
> Well, that's a decent point also -- if gstreamer can use ffmpeg as a
> backend, does it not superscede ffmpeg? It's reasonable to assume that
> this means that gstreamer "supports all of ffmpeg plus a little bit of
> extra".

Well, actually I see some unuseful complexity in this approach (you need
both gstreamer and ffmpeg for playing videos), and I think it slows down
the adoption of the latest software releases, as a new ffmpeg has to be
included in gstreamer, and so on.

But there's another point: I *think*, but I'm absolutely not sure, that
the ffmpeg gstreamer plugin does not support all the codecs that ffmpeg
supports natively, because of licensing problem. AFAIK, ffmpeg aims to
support a large set of codecs, even if there're patent issues, while
gstreamer is more careful about these issues, and probably has stripped
down ffmpeg.

p.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Andrei Thorp

Yeah, good point re: ABS, and true, gstreamer's ffmpeg may not be as
good. I withdraw my suggestions

-AT

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Paride Legovini

Old 03-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Ronnie Collinson

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 7:47 AM, Andrei Thorp <garoth@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, that's a decent point also -- if gstreamer can use ffmpeg as a
> backend, does it not superscede ffmpeg? It's reasonable to assume that
> this means that gstreamer "supports all of ffmpeg plus a little bit of
> extra". Regardless, I think in the spirit of letting users do whatever
> they want, multiple packages is the way to go.
>
> -Andrei "Garoth" Thorp
>
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Paride Legovini
> <legovini@spiro.fisica.unipd.it> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:11:20AM -0700, Andrei Thorp wrote:
> >> Simpler sounds nice, but I'm not so sure about the "uses ffmpeg
> >> instead" bit -- perhaps there should be two packages if such a choice
> >> has to be made?
> >
> > Well, the choice has to be made, and making two packages is a solution.
> > Personally I prefer ffmpeg, and as far as I read it has a broader
> > support for codecs used in FLV videos. Even when compiled against
> > gstreamer, decoding of such videos (e.g. youtube ones) require
> > gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, so it seems to me that using ffmpeg directly is a
> > more linear approach.
> >
> > p.

That just screams gentoo use flags system, that was slowly driving me nuts
before my switch to Arch