Old 03-15-2009, 08:48 PM
"Ali H. Caliskan"

Default Can't adopt mysql-gui-tools

Hi,

I can't adopt the orphaned mysql-gui-tools package.

ali

Old 03-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Smartboy

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Ali H. Caliskan
<ali.h.caliskan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't adopt the orphaned mysql-gui-tools package.
>
> ali

That is because it is a community package (not an unsupported one).
Perhaps one of the TUs can move it to unsupported.

Smartboy

Old 03-15-2009, 09:08 PM
"Ali H. Caliskan"

Apparently there must be a shortage of TUs, since there are several orphaned
packages in AUR. I'm thinking of becoming a TU but I have only used Arch
Linux for two months.

Ali

Old 03-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Andrei Thorp

Not entirely sure what you mean -- there are 22 community packages
that have been orphaned. That's not a tremendous amount. Are these the
packages you meant, or are you counting all orphaned packages on AUR?
There are 1286 of those, but they aren't the responsibilty of the TUs
to maintain unless they want to.

(Just to clarify.)

Regardless, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt Arch if you attempted to become
a TU. I'm not one, but I recommend that you read the information about
how to become one if you haven't:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TU_Person_Specification
http://dev.archlinux.org/~simo/TUbylaws.html (read section on TU
Addition at least)

Cheers,

-Andrei 'Garoth' Thorp

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Ali H. Caliskan

Old 03-15-2009, 11:58 PM
"Ali H. Caliskan"

Thanks for you clarification. What I mean is that I think TUs shouldn't
leave any orphaned backages at all. I've read TU specifications, and that's
why I'm trying my best way to serve the purpose of becoming TU.

Kind regards,
Ali

Old 03-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Allan McRae

Ali H. Caliskan wrote:

What I mean is that I think TUs shouldn't leave any orphaned backages at all.

Well, you should see the number of orphans in the [extra] repo...
(~500). In an ideal world, there would be no orphans but we need to
weight up moving things to unsupported compared to having a slightly out
of date package.

Allan

Old 03-16-2009, 12:18 AM
"Ali H. Caliskan"

I think it's a wise decision. I see many orphaned packages that I would
personally give time to maintain.

Ali