Old 03-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Daenyth Blank

Default How about hashtags in package description?

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7132

Old 03-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Andrei Thorp

Note @ self: always check bug tracker before submitting suggestions.

-AT

Old 03-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Loui Chang

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 10:49:06AM +0200, Vitaliy Berdinskikh wrote:
> We have the limited category list.
>
> Sometimes I need accurate description when package can use.
>
> How about to use hashtags like #hamradio etc.

What's the practical difference between a tag and a hashtag?

Old 03-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:33, Loui Chang <louipc.ist@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 10:49:06AM +0200, Vitaliy Berdinskikh wrote:
>> We have the limited category list.
>>
>> Sometimes I need accurate description when package can use.
>>
>> How about to use hashtags like #hamradio etc.
>
> What's the practical difference between a tag and a hashtag?

I think that he means to put tags as comments? I have no clue really

Old 03-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Pierre Chapuis

Le Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:54:12 -0400,
Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> a crit :

> > What's the practical difference between a tag and a hashtag?
> I think that he means to put tags as comments? I have no clue really

I thought he was talking about something like tags used in Jabber or Identi.ca posts. They are inline and begin with a hash, like that:

I think #Arch #Linux is awesome.

--
catwell

Old 03-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Vitaliy Berdinskikh

В Sun, 15 Mar 2009 08:11:32 -0400
Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> пишет:

> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 05:14, Giovanni Scafora
> <linuxmania@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2009/3/15, Vitaliy Berdinskikh <skipper13@root.ua>:
> >> We have the limited category list.
> >>
> >> *Sometimes I need accurate description when package can use.
> >>
> >> *How about to use hashtags like #hamradio etc.
> >
> > Great!
> > I like that...
> >

> > --
> > Arch Linux Developer (voidnull)
> > AUR & Pacman Italian Translations
> > Microdia Developer
> > http://www.archlinux.it
> >

> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7132

Great!

--
Sincerely yours,
Vitaliy Berdinskikh (Виталий Бердинских)

Old 03-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Jens Maucher

Am Sonntag 15 Mrz 2009 17:00:05 schrieb Pierre Chapuis:
> Le Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:54:12 -0400,
>
> Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> a crit :
> > > What's the practical difference between a tag and a hashtag?
> >
> > I think that he means to put tags as comments? I have no clue really
>
> I thought he was talking about something like tags used in Jabber or
> Identi.ca posts. They are inline and begin with a hash, like that:
>
> I think #Arch #Linux is awesome.

The sense escapes me. o_O

Old 03-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Dieter Plaetinck

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:55:01 +0100
Jens Maucher <jensmaucher@online.de> wrote:

> Am Sonntag 15 Mrz 2009 17:00:05 schrieb Pierre Chapuis:
> > Le Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:54:12 -0400,
> >
> > Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> a crit :
> > >
> > > I think that he means to put tags as comments? I have no clue
> > > really
> >
> > I thought he was talking about something like tags used in Jabber or
> > Identi.ca posts. They are inline and begin with a hash, like that:
> >
> > I think #Arch #Linux is awesome.
>
> The sense escapes me. o_O

I see people doing this on twitter.
Functionality-wise they are just tags.
the hash ('#') sign in front is to just mark "this is a tag", which is
useful for other tools and scripts to parse/categorize/... content

Dieter

Old 03-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Loui Chang

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 08:32:29PM +0100, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:55:01 +0100
> Jens Maucher <jensmaucher@online.de> wrote:
>
> > Am Sonntag 15 Mrz 2009 17:00:05 schrieb Pierre Chapuis:
> > > Le Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:54:12 -0400,
> > >
> > > Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> a crit :

> > > I thought he was talking about something like tags used in Jabber or
> > > Identi.ca posts. They are inline and begin with a hash, like that:
> > >
> > > I think #Arch #Linux is awesome.
> >
> > The sense escapes me. o_O
>
> I see people doing this on twitter.
> Functionality-wise they are just tags.
> the hash ('#') sign in front is to just mark "this is a tag", which is
> useful for other tools and scripts to parse/categorize/... content

So it isn't really any more useful than just searching a well written
description eh?

Old 03-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Andrei Thorp

Re: searching descriptions: when searching via description, you're
likely to find descriptions that have whatever keyword you typed, but
not in the scenario you had in mind.

Example:
You searched for "office" and that matches the description
"Game about shooting people at the office"

If instead you had a tag system, searching --tag office would,
presumably, match office applications only. Anyway, this may not be a
tremendously great example, but I think there is somewhat of a point
here.

-AT