Old 03-03-2009, 06:59 AM
"Markus Heuser"

Default catalyst-beta removed/take care of illegal stuff!

Hey,

I don't think it make any difference. Why companies should care
about Arch or it's petition?

Because we are the users and we have paid for their cards! We do have
the right to demand a working driver (which actually is ridiculous since
you can't operate your card without a driver). I don't see any reason why
linux users should be second class users.
Our money is of the same worth as anyone elses.

At least AMD/ATI is releasing some documentation so we can just wait
until the xf86-video-ati/radeonhd become stable and suit most desktop
users needs and then abandon AMDs catalyst.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Dieter Plaetinck

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 08:59:45 +0100
"Markus Heuser" <mheuser@mi.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> > I don't think it make any difference. Why companies should care
> > about Arch or it's petition?
>
> Because we are the users and we have paid for their cards! We do have
> the right to demand a working driver (which actually is ridiculous
> since you can't operate your card without a driver). I don't see any
> reason why linux users should be second class users.
> Our money is of the same worth as anyone elses.

I did not follow this discussion at all, but probably you have paid for
hardware that is warranted to work on several OS's, but not on
Linux. If so , you have the right to "ask", "recommend", "inform" but
not to "demand".

Dieter

Old 03-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Enrico Scichilone

Markus Heuser schrieb:
> Hey,
[...]
> At least AMD/ATI is releasing some documentation so we can just wait
> until the xf86-video-ati/radeonhd become stable and suit most desktop
> users needs and then abandon AMDs catalyst.

Hey ho @all,
I'm using radeonhd for quite some time now and I will continue to use
it, because it is stable and suite my needs (Desktop-Stuff mostly und a
Diablo II game if there's some spare time )

*all thumbs up for the radeonhd*

cya,
enni | telsh

--
"Es ist sinnlos zu sagen: Wir tun unser Bestes.
Es muß dir gelingen, das zu tun, was erforderlich ist."