Old 02-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Andreas Radke

Default catalyst-beta removed/take care of illegal stuff!

Today I asked Allan to remove 2 packages from AUR: catalyst-beta and
catalyst-utils-beta.

I know the situation of the catalyst driver packages isn't in the best
state. But breaking laws and license agreements can't solve this in a
proper way and we cannot allow to host this on our servers.

All members of the AMD/Ati beta project have to sign briefly an
agreement to not publish any online location where to get the source,
not publish any issues and errors that come up and they even aren't
allowed to publish anything about performance changes. Of cause you
aren't allowed to give any 3rd person the beta installer directly.

The packages in AUR had links to leaked sources directly included. All
I know this is also breaking their licenses. That's why we removed
these packages.

TUs: Please have a look at what comes up in AUR and ask if you find
something you are not sure if it allowed to be there.

@all: don't blame me for taking you that possibility from you. Go and
send a nice thanks to AMD for not doing public beta tests.

We - the dev team will soon have to decide about future handling of the
stable but almost always broken situation of AMD drivers.

-AndyRTR

Old 02-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Nicky726

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 21:07:09 +0100
> From: Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de>
> Subject: [aur-general] catalyst-beta removed/take care of illegal
> stuff!
>
> @all: don't blame me for taking you that possibility from you. Go and
> send a nice thanks to AMD for not doing public beta tests.
>
> -AndyRTR

If we are to send some "nice thanks letters" to AMD, maybe some more official
activity like some petition under protection of an Arch Dev would have a
higher chance of actually changing anything don't you think?

- Nicky726

Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Yura Siamashka

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:51:15 +0100
Nicky726 <nicky726@gmail.com> wrote:

> If we are to send some "nice thanks letters" to AMD, maybe some more official
> activity like some petition under protection of an Arch Dev would have a
> higher chance of actually changing anything don't you think?
I don't think it make any difference. Why companies should care about Arch or it's petition?

--
Yura Siamashka <yurand2@gmail.com>

Old 03-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 3:51 AM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 08:59:45 +0100
> "Markus Heuser" <mheuser@mi.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> > I don't think it make any difference. Why companies should care
>> > about Arch or it's petition?
>>
>> Because we are the users and we have paid for their cards! We do have
>> the right to demand a working driver (which actually is ridiculous
>> since you can't operate your card without a driver). I don't see any
>> reason why linux users should be second class users.
>> Our money is of the same worth as anyone elses.
>>
> I did not follow this discussion at all, but probably you have paid for
> hardware that is warranted to work on several OS's, but not on
> Linux. *If so , you have the right to "ask", "recommend", "inform" but
> not to "demand".

I was going to say something similar. That is probably lists OSes it
works on on the side of the box, and the onus is on you ensure you buy
proper hardware. Otherwise it's like putting kerosene in your car and
then demanding the car maker makes it work.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Andrei Thorp

Still... they *are* working for Linux drivers. It's a funny state that
we feel like we should be kindly asking for them to give us these
drivers that they have. I mean, yeah, they're beta -- but I just feel
strange begging a company to give me my product, while they're still
working on it, after I bought it.

-AT

Old 03-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Andrei Thorp

Cool, nice to hear that it's doing well.

-AT

Old 03-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Andrei Thorp

How the heck did this turn into "ArchLinux hates Catalyst drivers so
are taking them
out of the repositories" in the news? Man, I'm going to be more dubious of
rumor-sounding news in the future after seeing this happen right under my nose.

-AT

Old 03-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Andrei Thorp <garoth@gmail.com> wrote:
> How the heck did this turn into "ArchLinux hates Catalyst drivers so
> are taking them
> out of the repositories" in the news? Man, I'm going to be more dubious of
> rumor-sounding news in the future after seeing this happen right under my nose.

Next time: Arch Linux hates puppies and sunshine

Old 03-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Andrei Thorp

Sounds like something we should _try_ to get into the news or on a t-shirt

-AT