Old 02-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Ghost1227

Default Discussion regarding TU Swiergot

Ronald van Haren wrote:

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 13:51, Ghost1227 <ghost1227@archlinux.us> wrote:

Over the last few months, I have noticed that TU Swiergot has neglected his
packages in community. I first noticed this with the cinelerra-cv package
which was several months out of date and using the now-defunct cvs repo
(cinelerra-cv switched to git two months ago). I posted a cinelerra-cv-git
package to the AUR and attempted several times to contact him. Two months
went by and I got no reply from any of the several addresses he has, so I
discussed the situation with another TU, then updated his cinelerra-cv
package and sent him another email notifying him of the update. I have since
taken a look through his packages and the bugtracker. He has several
packages marked out of date (and some have comments explaining fixes), as
well as a handful of open bugs on the bugtracker. Since I have been unable
to contact him through any means, I propose orphaning his packages so that
more available TUs can take over the responsibility for them. There are
several that I would be happy to take over (assaultcube, cinelerra-cv, cube,
dosemu, fcrackzip, nexuiz, qemu-launcher, stegdetect, steghide, supertux and
maybe a few others), and some of his packages (including some of the ones
i'll take) should be dropped to the AUR.

Discuss

If he's been inactive that long (and iirc without notice) then
according to the TU bylaws, he should be removed as a TU.

is this an actual removal discussion or what is the topic of this discussion?

Ronald

Well my initial intent was simply to turn over his packages (or at least
the outdated ones) to people who are actually available to handle them.
However, Daenyth brings up a good point and perhaps this should be an
actual removal discussion. After several months of trying to contact a
TU, and several other TUs not even knowing who he is... I'd say it's a
safe bet he's been inactive a while. Have to actually look at the
logs/ML archive to see for sure though.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Daenyth Blank

Old 02-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Ronald van Haren

Old 02-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Loui Chang

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 01:51:43PM -0500, Ghost1227 wrote:
> Over the last few months, I have noticed that TU Swiergot has neglected his
> packages in community. I first noticed this with the cinelerra-cv package
> which was several months out of date and using the now-defunct cvs repo
> (cinelerra-cv switched to git two months ago). I posted a cinelerra-cv-git
> package to the AUR and attempted several times to contact him. Two months
> went by and I got no reply from any of the several addresses he has, so I
> discussed the situation with another TU, then updated his cinelerra-cv
> package and sent him another email notifying him of the update. I have since
> taken a look through his packages and the bugtracker. He has several
> packages marked out of date (and some have comments explaining fixes), as
> well as a handful of open bugs on the bugtracker. Since I have been unable
> to contact him through any means, I propose orphaning his packages so that
> more available TUs can take over the responsibility for them. There are
> several that I would be happy to take over (assaultcube, cinelerra-cv, cube,
> dosemu, fcrackzip, nexuiz, qemu-launcher, stegdetect, steghide, supertux and
> maybe a few others), and some of his packages (including some of the ones
> i'll take) should be dropped to the AUR.
>
> Discuss

Yeah sounds good. TUs should be just as accountable as regular users. If
he hasn't responded to emails about outdated packages, let others adopt
those packages. Does swiergot appear active according to TU votes?

Well, actually the bylaws state that we remove TUs only if they have
prevented a vote from reaching quorum. But so far all votes have made
it. So we can keep him for now if he does reappear.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:24 PM
M Rawash

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 13:51 -0500, Ghost1227 wrote:
> Over the last few months, I have noticed that TU Swiergot has neglected
> his packages in community. I first noticed this with the cinelerra-cv
> package which was several months out of date and using the now-defunct
> cvs repo (cinelerra-cv switched to git two months ago). I posted a
> cinelerra-cv-git package to the AUR and attempted several times to
> contact him. Two months went by and I got no reply from any of the
> several addresses he has, so I discussed the situation with another TU,
> then updated his cinelerra-cv package and sent him another email
> notifying him of the update. I have since taken a look through his
> packages and the bugtracker. He has several packages marked out of date
> (and some have comments explaining fixes), as well as a handful of open
> bugs on the bugtracker. Since I have been unable to contact him through
> any means, I propose orphaning his packages so that more available TUs
> can take over the responsibility for them. There are several that I
> would be happy to take over (assaultcube, cinelerra-cv, cube, dosemu,
> fcrackzip, nexuiz, qemu-launcher, stegdetect, steghide, supertux and
> maybe a few others), and some of his packages (including some of the
> ones i'll take) should be dropped to the AUR.
>
> Discuss

i'd love to get tuxcmd if it's ever moved to AUR, i've already prepared
a pkgbuild that compiles from source (rather than just copy-paste the
binary stuff)

cheers

Old 02-21-2009, 08:01 PM
"stefan-husmann@t-online.de"

> On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 13:51 -0500, Ghost1227 wrote:
> > Over the last few months, I have noticed that TU Swiergot has
> > neglected his packages in community. I first noticed this with the
> > cinelerra-cv package which was several months out of date and using
> > the now-defunct cvs repo (cinelerra-cv switched to git two months
> > ago). I posted a cinelerra-cv-git package to the AUR and attempted
> > several times to contact him. Two months went by and I got no reply
> > from any of the several addresses he has, so I discussed the
> > situation with another TU, then updated his cinelerra-cv package and
> > sent him another email notifying him of the update. I have since
> > taken a look through his packages and the bugtracker. He has several
> > packages marked out of date (and some have comments explaining
> > fixes), as well as a handful of open bugs on the bugtracker. Since I
> > have been unable to contact him through any means, I propose
> > orphaning his packages so that more available TUs can take over the
> > responsibility for them. There are several that I would be happy to
> > take over (assaultcube, cinelerra-cv, cube, dosemu, fcrackzip,
> > nexuiz, qemu-launcher, stegdetect, steghide, supertux and maybe a
> > few others), and some of his packages (including some of the ones
> > i'll take) should be dropped to the AUR.
> >
> > Discuss
> >

> i'd love to get tuxcmd if it's ever moved to AUR, i've already
> prepared a pkgbuild that compiles from source (rather than just
> copy-paste the binary stuff)
>
> cheers

Hello,

interesting, I do not know any PKGBUILDs for Pascal written stuff. Maybe
we could write a wiki article about how to do so.

Regards Stefan

Old 02-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Allan McRae

Loui Chang wrote:

[...]

I think you are the only person who can tell this since we switched to
voting on the AUR. Care to look?

Well, actually the bylaws state that we remove TUs only if they have
prevented a vote from reaching quorum. But so far all votes have made
it. So we can keep him for now if he does reappear.

Relevant section from the bylaws:

If a TU becomes inactive without declaring it, "disappears", someone
must motion for their removal for reason of unwarranted and undeclared
inactivity, and the normal procedure for the motion is followed.

Allan

Old 02-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Loui Chang

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 07:48:10AM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> Loui Chang wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 01:51:43PM -0500, Ghost1227 wrote:
> >
> >> Over the last few months, I have noticed that TU Swiergot has neglected
> >> his packages in community. I first noticed this with the cinelerra-cv
> >> package which was several months out of date and using the now-defunct
> >> cvs repo (cinelerra-cv switched to git two months ago). I posted a
> >> cinelerra-cv-git package to the AUR and attempted several times to
> >> contact him. Two months went by and I got no reply from any of the
> >> several addresses he has, so I discussed the situation with another TU,
> >> then updated his cinelerra-cv package and sent him another email
> >> notifying him of the update. I have since taken a look through his
> >> packages and the bugtracker. He has several packages marked out of date
> >> (and some have comments explaining fixes), as well as a handful of open
> >> bugs on the bugtracker. Since I have been unable to contact him through
> >> any means, I propose orphaning his packages so that more available TUs
> >> can take over the responsibility for them. There are several that I would
> >> be happy to take over (assaultcube, cinelerra-cv, cube, dosemu,
> >> fcrackzip, nexuiz, qemu-launcher, stegdetect, steghide, supertux and
> >> maybe a few others), and some of his packages (including some of the ones
> >> i'll take) should be dropped to the AUR.
> >>
> >> Discuss
> >>

> > Yeah sounds good. TUs should be just as accountable as regular users. If
> > he hasn't responded to emails about outdated packages, let others adopt
> > those packages. Does swiergot appear active according to TU votes?
> >

> I think you are the only person who can tell this since we switched to
> voting on the AUR. Care to look?

You can kind of check yourself with the new features. Yes swiergot did
vote in the last proposal (Changing [community] management system).

> > Well, actually the bylaws state that we remove TUs only if they have
> > prevented a vote from reaching quorum. But so far all votes have made
> > it. So we can keep him for now if he does reappear.
>
> Relevant section from the bylaws:
>
> If a TU becomes inactive without declaring it, "disappears", someone must
> motion for their removal for reason of unwarranted and undeclared
> inactivity, and the normal procedure for the motion is followed.

I meant the automatic removal procedure. But yeah if someone is
uncomfortable with swiergot's scarceness he or she is encouraged to
motion for removal.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:26 PM
M Rawash

On Sat, 2009-02-21 at 22:01 +0100, stefan-husmann@t-online.de wrote:
> [...]

afaik there are plenty of them around, they mainly depend on either
Lazarus (IDE, for RAD stuff) and/or fpc-src (the actual libs+compiler).
I think it was kinda lazy of the packager to go directly for the
binaries..