Old 02-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Vesa Kaihlavirta

Default Weird behaviour of the sergej entity

Hey,

Just noticed that xmobar, which I uploaded on 2009/01/18 to community
(with all the other ghc-6.10 updates) was just recently adopted by
sergej in AUR. Without him doing any changes to the package or
uploading a new version.

What's up with this, sergej? Are you trying to get a thousand packages
or something...

--vk

Old 02-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Evangelos Foutras

Vesa Kaihlavirta wrote:

Hey,

Just noticed that xmobar, which I uploaded on 2009/01/18 to community
(with all the other ghc-6.10 updates) was just recently adopted by
sergej in AUR. Without him doing any changes to the package or
uploading a new version.

What's up with this, sergej? Are you trying to get a thousand packages
or something...

--vk

I believe that when a package is moved to [community], it's
automatically orphaned in AUR. Call this a bug if you wish (there could
be a technical reason behind this behavior), but the thing is that you
need to adopt it once it has been moved.

My guess is that sergej saw it appearing as orphan and took it. Just
email him directly informing him of the situation and re-adopt your package.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Vesa Kaihlavirta

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vesa Kaihlavirta wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> Just noticed that xmobar, which I uploaded on 2009/01/18 to community
>> (with all the other ghc-6.10 updates) was just recently adopted by

> I believe that when a package is moved to [community], it's automatically
> orphaned in AUR. Call this a bug if you wish (there could be a technical
> reason behind this behavior), but the thing is that you need to adopt it
> once it has been moved.

Yes, I considered that probable as well. Then again, I remember
explicitly adopting xmobar myself after uploading it... then again
again, I'm not known for my great memory.

Nevertheless, why adopt a package that wasn't out-of-date without
doing anything to it? Especially when you already have more than 700?

--vk

Old 02-15-2009, 06:13 AM
Gour

Vesa> Nevertheless, why adopt a package that wasn't out-of-date without
Vesa> doing anything to it? Especially when you already have more than
Vesa> 700?

I'm more disturbed by the fact that he is adopting packages which are
clearly maintained by others, e.g. see header of gtk2hs pkgbuild:

# Maintainer: Sergej Pupykin <sergej@aur.archlinux.org>
# Maintainer: Vesa Kaihlavirta <vegai@iki.fi>
# Contributor: Arch Haskell Team <arch-haskell@haskell.org>

which shows:

a) there is Arch Haskell Team that handles (almost) all of the Haskell
packages in Arch and

b) there is already maintainer for the package

Moreover, adding line as # Maintainer: Sergej Pupykin
<sergej@aur.archlinux.org> could imply that he just blindly (via some
scripts) does his job of 'maintaining' packages which he (most probably)
does not use at all :-(

In the above example of gtk2hs it is well known that the gtk2hs-0.9.10
deprecates 'sourceview' component in the favor of 'gtksourceview2' and
he just blindly bumped up the old version.

Otoh, AUR shows 740 pkgs belonging to him and one is a little bit
suspicious what kind of quality one can provide with so many of them :-/

I know he was already subject of the discussion, but it is known
(amongst Haskell hackers) that Arch is (one of) the best
Haskell-supported distro available with the dedicated team of Devs/Tus
taking care about the quality of all the packages prior of entering into
extra/community, so taking over Haskell packages is, imho, just a sign
of extensive greediness to increase the number of adopted packages and
not sign of desire to provide quality support.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour | Zagreb, Croatia | GPG key: C6E7162D