Old 02-05-2009, 09:57 AM
"Leslie P. Polzer"

Default Java SDK/Runtime dependencies

Hello everyone,

Rorschach has asked me to bring the discussion at

to this mailing list.

Please help us find a consensus.

My answer to his last question is:

---
Let them install openjdk6 to provide the j2sdk dependency.

It's not the Arch philosophy to cut on freedom of choice.

By forcing a user to use either a free or proprietary alternative
of a PROVIDES we ignore the purpose of this clause (i.e.
providing freedom of choice).
---

Moreover I don't really see what's controversial here.

I'm a free software supporter myself, but I don't like
forcing people to use it.

provides=j2sdk is the way that will hurt no party.

Thanks,

Leslie

--
LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/polzer
Xing Profile: https://www.xing.com/profile/LeslieP_Polzer

Old 02-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Ronald van Haren

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Leslie P. Polzer
<sky@viridian-project.de> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Rorschach has asked me to bring the discussion at

> to this mailing list.
>
> Please help us find a consensus.
>

> My answer to his last question is:
>
> ---
> Let them install openjdk6 to provide the j2sdk dependency.
>
> It's not the Arch philosophy to cut on freedom of choice.
>
> By forcing a user to use either a free or proprietary alternative
> of a PROVIDES we ignore the purpose of this clause (i.e.
> providing freedom of choice).
> ---
>
> Moreover I don't really see what's controversial here.
>
> I'm a free software supporter myself, but I don't like
> forcing people to use it.
>
> provides=j2sdk is the way that will hurt no party.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Leslie
>
> --
> LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/polzer
> Xing Profile: https://www.xing.com/profile/LeslieP_Polzer
> Blog: http://blog.viridian-project.de/

let it depend on java-environment. This is both provided by openjdk6
and the sun jdk package.

Ronald

Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Rorschach

Is the provides field really doing what you think? Than I didn't understood it right. Could please someone bring some light to this?

In general I think that Sun's Java should be kicked out as dependencie in every package where openjdk6 works fine because I think the main goal should be that we use a free java version and not a proprietary one.

This topic is also missing in the http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Java_Package_Guidelines.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Ronald van Haren

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Rorschach <r0rschach@lavabit.com> wrote:
> Is the provides field really doing what you think? Than I didn't understood it right. Could please someone bring some light to this?
>
> In general I think that Sun's Java should be kicked out as dependencie in every package where openjdk6 works fine because I think the main goal should be that we use a free java version and not a proprietary one.
>
> This topic is also missing in the http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Java_Package_Guidelines.

Description provides array from the info page:

provides (array)
An array of "virtual provisions" that this package provides. This
allows a package to provide dependencies other than its own package
name. For example, the dcron package can provide cron, which allows
packages to depend on cron rather than dcron OR fcron. Versioned
provisions are also possible, in the name=version format. For
example, dcron can provide cron=2.0 to satisfy the cron>=2.0
dependency of other packages. Provisions involving the > and <
operators are invalid as only specifc versions of a package may be
provided.

As both openjdk6 and sun jdk provide the same development functions,
they are interchangeble. Letting your package depend on java-runtime
the user can either choose to use the openjdk one or the sun one.

That is what you want right?

Ronald

Old 02-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Grigorios Bouzakis

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 11:57:34AM +0100, Leslie P. Polzer wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Rorschach has asked me to bring the discussion at

> to this mailing list.
>
> Please help us find a consensus.
>

> My answer to his last question is:
>
> ---
> Let them install openjdk6 to provide the j2sdk dependency.
>
> It's not the Arch philosophy to cut on freedom of choice.
>
> By forcing a user to use either a free or proprietary alternative
> of a PROVIDES we ignore the purpose of this clause (i.e.
> providing freedom of choice).
> ---
>
> Moreover I don't really see what's controversial here.
>
> I'm a free software supporter myself, but I don't like
> forcing people to use it.
>
> provides=j2sdk is the way that will hurt no party.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Leslie

Hi,
I agree with everything you say regarding j2sdk, since both packages
provide it, ideally (in packaging terms) this should be the dependency.
It would make all users happy. Those using Sun's Java and openjdk ones.
Obviously setting the dependency to j2sdk has no disadvantages.
If the maintainer of the package doesnt understand that for whatever
reason,then just do what an OSS developer would. Fork it. Its not like
its binary anyway. Plus its his pakage now, so he can do whatever he
wants with it, even if thats opposing the interests of the community.
Cause it does.

--
Greg

what to do and what not to do in public )
http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php

Old 02-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Rorschach

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 12:07:01 +0100
Ronald van Haren <pressh@gmail.com> wrote:
> let it depend on java-environment. This is both provided by openjdk6
> and the sun jdk package.
>
> Ronald

What package gets installed then if the user has until now none of these installed:

$ pacman -sS java-environment
extra/java-gcj-compat 1.0.78-1
Wrapper package to wrap free tools into a java 1.5.0.0 compatible java
environment
extra/openjdk6 1.3.1-2
Free Java environment based on OpenJDK 6.0 with IcedTea6 replacing binary
plugs.
community/jdk 6u11-1
Sun's Java Development Kit

Next to that most applications like jondo and i2p don't run with gcj but the java-envrironment will tell that everything is ok.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Ronald van Haren

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Rorschach <r0rschach@lavabit.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 12:07:01 +0100
> Ronald van Haren <pressh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> let it depend on java-environment. This is both provided by openjdk6
>> and the sun jdk package.
>>
>> Ronald
>
> What package gets installed then if the user has until now none of these installed:
>
> $ pacman -sS java-environment
> extra/java-gcj-compat 1.0.78-1
> Wrapper package to wrap free tools into a java 1.5.0.0 compatible java
> environment
> extra/openjdk6 1.3.1-2
> Free Java environment based on OpenJDK 6.0 with IcedTea6 replacing binary
> plugs.
> community/jdk 6u11-1
> Sun's Java Development Kit
>
> Next to that most applications like jondo and i2p don't run with gcj but the java-envrironment will tell that everything is ok.

ic, java-gcj-compat should die anyway. Thought we removed it already
from the repos.

in that case use j2sdk as suggested before.

Ronald

Old 02-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Rorschach

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 12:22:26 +0100
Ronald van Haren <pressh@gmail.com> wrote:

> in that case use j2sdk as suggested before.

If I use j2sdk as dependencie what package gets installed by pacman if the user has no java already installed?

Old 02-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Ronald van Haren

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Rorschach <r0rschach@lavabit.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 12:22:26 +0100
> Ronald van Haren <pressh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> in that case use j2sdk as suggested before.
>
> If I use j2sdk as dependencie what package gets installed by pacman if the user has no java already installed?

the first package pacman finds. As the extra repo is specified before
the community repo normally, it should install openjdk6 by default.

Ronald

Old 02-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Rorschach

thanks Ronald van Haren and dejari for making this clear! I updated now all my packages which require java: i2p, jondo and ipscan to depend on j2sdk instead of openjdk6. I'm now going to add this to the java packaging guidelines.

greetings