-   -   Sponsoring Timm Preetz for TU (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-user-repository/14579-sponsoring-timm-preetz-tu.html)

Bjørn Lindeijer 12-07-2007 02:20 PM

Sponsoring Timm Preetz for TU

Hello everybody!

A few days ago, Timm Preetz (known as gummibaerchen on the AUR and
forums) let me know that he was interested in becoming a TU to help
keeping packages up to date as well as maintaining his current AUR
packages to community. He is currently maintaining the following
packages in AUR:

avant-window-navigator
java-gnome
java-gnome-docs
python-clutter
telepathy-haze
telepathy-sofiasip

I have checked his packages and found some small issues like custom
variables and missing categories, and Timm was quick to resolve those.
In my opinion he shows that he has not only the skills to be a TU but
also the necessary attention to details, so I will sponsor him.

This email hereby opens the discussion period of 5 days!

His introduction to me:
-----------------------

My motivation to become a TU is mostly due to the fact
that I get simply annoyed by outdated packages (may it be the 64bit-port
or the PKGBUILD in AUR in general).
When I first installed Arch Linux I was impressed how up to date the
packages were. But now 'digging deeper' (into AUR) I see lots of
outdated packages or incomplete PKGBUILDs (licence missing for example).
As these are issues that are often discussed I thought it would be good
to get the hands on myself.
There no point in 'mirroring' and updating PKGBUILDs on my HDD and have
no way to give anything of my changes back and therefore indirectly
force other people who want recent packages to do the same.

So my idea was, that I could become a TU and 'collect orphaned
packages' (so I just have to contact the 'actual' maintainer to ask
what's up if a package isn't updated for long and don't have to bug one
of the other TUs for orphaning packages). There is also a good number of
outdated packages in AUR that I would maintain myself.

Also this would give me the opportunity to share my 64-bit binary
packages if they're needed for community.

My main areas that I am currently interested in (and therefore have the
most PKGBUILDs of) are docs, bindings and 'composited stuff'.

One more to add: For the java-gnome packages for example I also worked
together with the upstream maintainer to get the configure script
working properly on Arch, and having install-instructions on their
website. This is also something I would repeat for other packages
whenever needed.

Coming to myself, there is not too much to say. I am born in the 9th of
February in 1990, male, German, visiting a grammar school and having
math and physics as honours.
Despite of the distro I am an absolutely GNOME/GTK/GObject-Fan, Python
and Java programmer and LaTeX writer.
In my (technical) spare time I'm actually mostly working on a 2D racing
game using Clutter and improve algorithms we worked out in the CS-class.

Timm

bardo 12-07-2007 04:01 PM

2007/12/7, Bjørn Lindeijer <bjorn@lindeijer.nl>:
> This email hereby opens the discussion period of 5 days!

I left a couple of comments on his packages, but they're really
unimportant things, the real substance is good =)

Corrado

Timm Preetz 12-08-2007 08:01 AM

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 18:01 +0100, bardo wrote:
> I left a couple of comments on his packages, but they're really
> unimportant things, the real substance is good =)

thanks for your comments, I really appreciate that.
I just updated the PKGBUILDs.

Timm

Timm Preetz 12-08-2007 04:29 PM

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 16:20 +0100, Bjørn Lindeijer wrote:
> A few days ago, Timm Preetz (known as gummibaerchen on the AUR and
> forums) let me know that he was interested in becoming a TU to help
> keeping packages up to date as well as maintaining his current AUR
> packages to community.

Hello,

as Bjørn already said, I applied as a TU as I (kind of) 'enjoy'
packaging and want to give something back to the Arch community.

The packages I currently maintain in the AUR are all packages that I use
myself and therefore can guarantee that they work fine and have no
distro specific bugs or anything like that.

But even though I actually only maintain packages I use myself, I would
of course take over packages for maintenance if needed (but personally I
think it is best if the maintainer is actually also a (extensive) user
of the package him/herself, so that their is upstream contact and we can
provide the best quality possible).

Also packaging is not just about writing PKGBUILDs and doing pkgver++
once in a time, but I also like the communication with the community,
giving something back and the contact and work with the upstream
maintainers that is needed sometimes.

My main areas for PKGBUILDs are GNOME-software and doc-packages. I think
in general it's reasonable that Arch strips the /docs, but sometimes I
need the doc packages right here. Also all the doc-packages I have ship
with TOCs for devhelp so that they're easily integrated in your GNOME
development environment.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Regards,
Timm