Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Bjrn Lindeijer

Default Resignation

Dear all,

Even since I got a full time job back in September 2007, my time for TU
duties has been limited. A few months ago I switched to a different DSL
provider (since the previous one couldn't get their act together), and
they gave me a PPPoE modem instead of a router, which I couldn't get to
dial in on Arch Linux, which basically forced me to switch to something
else, Ubuntu in this case (pppoeconf had it done in seconds).

From then on it just went downhill. I kept updating and sometimes
rebuilding packages on an Arch Linux installed on VirtualBox at work.
However on each Ubuntu kernel upgrade it broke down and recently it
seems to have done its last breath since it no longer boots after Arch
Linux ran out of harddrive space while upgrading the kernel.

I decided this is where it ends. I've really enjoyed Arch Linux while it
last, and I think it really rocks for those who want to be always up to
date and also easily package their own stuff, allowing for a convenient
and complete management of all system files. However, frequent breaks
and security problems (no doubt mostly my own fault) had already made me
prefer other distributions on my laptop and server.

I'll post my list of packages in a separate email.

Thanks for several enjoyable years!

Regards,
Bjrn Lindeijer

Old 07-24-2008, 01:47 PM
"Andrea Scarpino"

2008/7/24 Bjrn Lindeijer <bjorn@lindeijer.nl>:
> Dear all,
>
> Even since I got a full time job back in September 2007, my time for TU
> duties has been limited. A few months ago I switched to a different DSL
> provider (since the previous one couldn't get their act together), and they
> gave me a PPPoE modem instead of a router, which I couldn't get to dial in
> on Arch Linux, which basically forced me to switch to something else, Ubuntu
> in this case (pppoeconf had it done in seconds).
>
> From then on it just went downhill. I kept updating and sometimes rebuilding
> packages on an Arch Linux installed on VirtualBox at work. However on each
> Ubuntu kernel upgrade it broke down and recently it seems to have done its
> last breath since it no longer boots after Arch Linux ran out of harddrive
> space while upgrading the kernel.
>
> I decided this is where it ends. I've really enjoyed Arch Linux while it
> last, and I think it really rocks for those who want to be always up to date
> and also easily package their own stuff, allowing for a convenient and
> complete management of all system files. However, frequent breaks and
> security problems (no doubt mostly my own fault) had already made me prefer
> other distributions on my laptop and server.
>
> I'll post my list of packages in a separate email.
>
> Thanks for several enjoyable years!

Thank you for great work and good luck!
I hope you`ll come back.

--
Andrea `BaSh` Scarpino
Arch Linux Trusted User

Old 07-24-2008, 02:13 PM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/7/24 Andrea Scarpino <bash.lnx@gmail.com>:
> 2008/7/24 Bjørn Lindeijer <bjorn@lindeijer.nl>:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Even since I got a full time job back in September 2007, my time for TU
>> duties has been limited. A few months ago I switched to a different DSL
>> provider (since the previous one couldn't get their act together), and they
>> gave me a PPPoE modem instead of a router, which I couldn't get to dial in
>> on Arch Linux, which basically forced me to switch to something else, Ubuntu
>> in this case (pppoeconf had it done in seconds).
>>
>> From then on it just went downhill. I kept updating and sometimes rebuilding
>> packages on an Arch Linux installed on VirtualBox at work. However on each
>> Ubuntu kernel upgrade it broke down and recently it seems to have done its
>> last breath since it no longer boots after Arch Linux ran out of harddrive
>> space while upgrading the kernel.
>>
>> I decided this is where it ends. I've really enjoyed Arch Linux while it
>> last, and I think it really rocks for those who want to be always up to date
>> and also easily package their own stuff, allowing for a convenient and
>> complete management of all system files. However, frequent breaks and
>> security problems (no doubt mostly my own fault) had already made me prefer
>> other distributions on my laptop and server.
>>
>> I'll post my list of packages in a separate email.
>>
>> Thanks for several enjoyable years!
>
> Thank you for great work and good luck!
> I hope you`ll come back.

Thanks for all!+++
I home you come visit us again sometime. ;-)

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 08-31-2008, 10:17 PM
Ferris McCormick

No, not from Gentoo.

After some thought, for personal reasons I resign from devrel. It's
been enjoyable, and all my best to the devrel team.

Regards,
Ferris
--
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@gentoo.org>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)

Old 09-02-2008, 12:51 PM
"Davide Italiano"

Good luck, dude.

--
Davide "dav_it" Italiano
Gentoo Gnu/Linux Developer

Old 11-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Timm Preetz

I hereby resign from my duties as an Arch Linux Trusted User.

Good luck to all the others in the future

Timm

Old 11-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Angel Velsquez

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Timm Preetz <timm@preetz.us> wrote:
> I hereby resign from my duties as an Arch Linux Trusted User.
>
> Good luck to all the others in the future
>
> Timm

Thanks for your contributions, and good luck.

--
Angel Velsquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net

Old 11-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Andrea Scarpino

On 18/11/2009, Timm Preetz <timm@preetz.us> wrote:
> I hereby resign from my duties as an Arch Linux Trusted User.
>
> Good luck to all the others in the future
Thank you for your work, you will be ever welcome.

--
Andrea `bash` Scarpino
Arch Linux Developer

Old 11-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Daniel J Griffiths

Timm Preetz wrote:

I hereby resign from my duties as an Arch Linux Trusted User.

Good luck to all the others in the future

Timm

You will be missed! Best of luck with whatever your future holds.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Dieter Plaetinck

Hi,
I'm stepping down as last remaining releng member.
It's not so much lack of time, it's more about lack of mental energy/interest.
Some other devs (and Gerardo) are already taking good care of archiso, Thomas manages to patch up the releng scripts every time they break, and now there's some interest in installer scripts again,
so I guess now is a good time for me to throw the towel.
I've been pondering doing this for already a long time, I even wrote a few resignation mails at some points, but always discarded them before sending.

AIF is arguably an over-engineered piece of software, but only because it aimed to make it "dead-easy" for users to do installations - even complicated ones - (and not just interactive, but also automated ones) which I still think is a noble goal worth pursuing, but we're too small of a team to maintain it, and me being the only one who understands it doesn't help either. If it would have been written in python it could have been more elegant and simple and might have had a very different life (with more interest from the community/other devs).
I've definitely learned a lot from it, and have a bunch of ideas on how things can be done better if one would like to pursue the goals that aif pursues, but lack the interest in devoting more energy. Although I might be interested to help out if others take the lead.

I would like to thank everyone who's ever contributed to Arch Linux in one way or another (some of you guys are very dedicated),
There's also the guys at (open)suse who are doing lovely projects (mirrorbrain, autoinst, openQA, ...) and who have tried to work with us,
I regret not being able to giving them the attention they deserve. (there's the autobuilds, the openQA automatic tests, the iso feedback webapp, which are by themselves useful but we haven't been able so far to tie them together. I still think we can achieve the autobuild+autotest+autorelease system I know some of us are dreaming of)

I also look back happily on speaking with everyone in the
AL community I've ever met, I never met somebody I didn't like.
My personal hilights being
Froscon 2009 (http://dieter.plaetinck.be/froscon_2009_afterthoughts -- check
the picture of Gerhard and I!) and Archcon 2010
(http://dieter.plaetinck.be/back_from_canada_archcon.html) which was not only great for the Arch love, my trip to Canada was one of the best trips of my life, and I got to meet Dusty, who I now consider a close personal friend.

good luck with AL and with your personal lives.

Dieter