Old 07-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Tom Gundersen

Default resignation

Hi Dieter,

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
> I'm stepping down as last remaining releng member.

I'm sorry to see you go. Thanks for all your work on Arch!

Cheers,

Tom

Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi Dieter,
>
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
>> I'm stepping down as last remaining releng member.
>
> I'm sorry to see you go. Thanks for all your work on Arch!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Thanks for your work in releng.

I wish you the best of luck in your next endeavours.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Rashif Ray Rahman

On 14 July 2012 22:03, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm stepping down as last remaining releng member.
> It's not so much lack of time, it's more about lack of mental energy/interest.
> Some other devs (and Gerardo) are already taking good care of archiso, Thomas manages to patch up the releng scripts every time they break, and now there's some interest in installer scripts again,
> so I guess now is a good time for me to throw the towel.
> I've been pondering doing this for already a long time, I even wrote a few resignation mails at some points, but always discarded them before sending.
>
> AIF is arguably an over-engineered piece of software, but only because it aimed to make it "dead-easy" for users to do installations - even complicated ones - (and not just interactive, but also automated ones) which I still think is a noble goal worth pursuing, but we're too small of a team to maintain it, and me being the only one who understands it doesn't help either. If it would have been written in python it could have been more elegant and simple and might have had a very different life (with more interest from the community/other devs).
> I've definitely learned a lot from it, and have a bunch of ideas on how things can be done better if one would like to pursue the goals that aif pursues, but lack the interest in devoting more energy. Although I might be interested to help out if others take the lead.
>
> I would like to thank everyone who's ever contributed to Arch Linux in one way or another (some of you guys are very dedicated),
> There's also the guys at (open)suse who are doing lovely projects (mirrorbrain, autoinst, openQA, ...) and who have tried to work with us,
> I regret not being able to giving them the attention they deserve. (there's the autobuilds, the openQA automatic tests, the iso feedback webapp, which are by themselves useful but we haven't been able so far to tie them together. I still think we can achieve the autobuild+autotest+autorelease system I know some of us are dreaming of)
>
> I also look back happily on speaking with everyone in the
> AL community I've ever met, I never met somebody I didn't like.
> My personal hilights being
> Froscon 2009 (http://dieter.plaetinck.be/froscon_2009_afterthoughts -- check
> the picture of Gerhard and I!) and Archcon 2010
> (http://dieter.plaetinck.be/back_from_canada_archcon.html) which was not only great for the Arch love, my trip to Canada was one of the best trips of my life, and I got to meet Dusty, who I now consider a close personal friend.
>
> good luck with AL and with your personal lives.
>
> Dieter

Yes, thanks for all your work Dieter. You've been there for some cool
stuff from as far back as I can remember. Take care of yourself, and
good luck with RL.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1

Old 07-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am 14.07.2012 18:03, schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> Hi,
> I'm stepping down as last remaining releng member.
> It's not so much lack of time, it's more about lack of mental
> energy/interest.
> Some other devs (and Gerardo) are already taking good care of
> archiso, Thomas manages to patch up the releng scripts every time they
> break, and now there's some interest in installer scripts again,
> so I guess now is a good time for me to throw the towel.
> I've been pondering doing this for already a long time, I even wrote
> a few resignation mails at some points, but always discarded them
> before sending.

I want to thank you for hard work on Arch and AIF. You really were an
essential part of Arch and it is sad to see you leave the project
entirely. But of course, once it has become more burden than fun it's no
longer worth it. I had made a similar decision some time ago when I
dropped a bunch of my packages and started working on other projects.

> AIF is arguably an over-engineered piece of software, but only
> because it aimed to make it "dead-easy" for users to do installations
> - even complicated ones - (and not just interactive, but also
> automated ones) which I still think is a noble goal worth pursuing,
> but we're too small of a team to maintain it, and me being the only
> one who understands it doesn't help either. If it would have been
> written in python it could have been more elegant and simple and might
> have had a very different life (with more interest from the
> community/other devs).
> I've definitely learned a lot from it, and have a bunch of ideas on
> how things can be done better if one would like to pursue the goals
> that aif pursues, but lack the interest in devoting more energy.
> Although I might be interested to help out if others take the lead.

AIF is a huge task for sure; especially with more possible options of
partitioning, filesystems and volume management added all the time. It's
a shame our community never was able to assemble an actual team working
on this and you ended up alone. We benefit a lot from your work here and
still will even if it seems like we were going a completely different
route now.

> I also look back happily on speaking with everyone in the
> AL community I've ever met, I never met somebody I didn't like.
> My personal hilights being
> Froscon 2009 (http://dieter.plaetinck.be/froscon_2009_afterthoughts -- check
> the picture of Gerhard and I!) and Archcon 2010
> (http://dieter.plaetinck.be/back_from_canada_archcon.html) which was
> not only great for the Arch love, my trip to Canada was one of the
> best trips of my life, and I got to meet Dusty, who I now consider a
> close personal friend.

If it wasn't for you we wouldn't have all met at FOSDEM this year I
guess. We had a great time and I hope you are still around and we'll
meet again some day.

Greetings and a big Thank You,

Pierre

Old 07-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Dan McGee

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm stepping down as last remaining releng member.

Always sad to see people go, but just wanted to thank you for your
time and contributions along the way. Your ambition was as large or
larger than any I saw around here between UZBL and rethinking the
installer.

> Archcon 2010
> (http://dieter.plaetinck.be/back_from_canada_archcon.html) which was not only great for the Arch love, my trip to Canada was one of the best trips of my life, and I got to meet Dusty, who I now consider a close personal friend.

That was a great experience for me as well and was happy to meet up
with you and everyone else that attended. Hope you're not a stranger
at any future meetup of Arch people that you're in the vicinity of.

-Dan

Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Charlie Kravetz

After much thinking and consideration, I am resigning from all Ubuntu
related activities. I can no longer say I agree with most of the
decisions being made by Canonical. While I wish this distribution all
the best, I can not consider myself of something that I am no longer
finding expresses my ideals and actions. I will also be resigning my
Ubuntu membership.

For those wishing to keep in touch, I will remain active on google+ and
will maintain my email at charlie.kravetz
AT
gmail
DOT
com

Thanks to everyone for fantastic memories.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914

Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

On 04/03/13 22:37, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> After much thinking and consideration, I am resigning from all Ubuntu
> related activities. I can no longer say I agree with most of the
> decisions being made by Canonical. While I wish this distribution all
> the best, I can not consider myself of something that I am no longer
> finding expresses my ideals and actions. I will also be resigning my
> Ubuntu membership.
>
> For those wishing to keep in touch, I will remain active on google+ and
> will maintain my email at charlie.kravetz
> AT
> gmail
> DOT
> com
>
> Thanks to everyone for fantastic memories.

Hey Charie,

all the good in the future for you too.

Cheers,
Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome) » http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of Shimmer Project and Xubuntu » http://shimmerproject.org/

Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 PM
PK

All the best, Charlie! :-)

I remember working with you on some Xubuntu issues. You were the
leader of the Xubuntu team back then. You're a good guy!

May I suggest an alternative volunteer effort for you? The Xfce
project (which is upstream) is a great way to keep contributing to all
distro's who use Xfce for desktop environment:
http://www.xfce.org/getinvolved

Regards, Pjotr.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 AM

Hi Charlie,