Old 05-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Sebastian Nowicki

Default #10530: checksum verification does not work on BSD

I don't really like this solution, but it's the only portable solution I
could think of. Instead of using md5sum, sha1sum, etc from GNU
coreutils, openssl is used. Openssl has the limitation that it does not
support the other sha* algorithms, so they had to be removed from
makepkg. I don't like having to remove features in order to make
something more portable.

The patch has been tested on Mac OSX (10.5) and Archlinux.

References http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10530

doc/makepkg.conf.5.txt | 2 +-
etc/makepkg.conf.in | 2 +-
scripts/makepkg.sh.in | 9 ++++-----

Old 05-31-2008, 06:31 AM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/5/30 Sebastian Nowicki <sebnow@gmail.com>:

> I don't really like this solution, but it's the only portable solution I
> could think of. Instead of using md5sum, sha1sum, etc from GNU
> coreutils, openssl is used. Openssl has the limitation that it does not
> support the other sha* algorithms, so they had to be removed from
> makepkg. I don't like having to remove features in order to make
> something more portable.

Can makepkg just use another tool(s) on systems where coreutils are
not available? (like libfetch/libdownload)

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 06-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Xavier

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Sebastian Nowicki <sebnow@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't really like this solution, but it's the only portable solution I
> could think of. Instead of using md5sum, sha1sum, etc from GNU
> coreutils, openssl is used. Openssl has the limitation that it does not
> support the other sha* algorithms, so they had to be removed from
> makepkg. I don't like having to remove features in order to make
> something more portable.
>
> The patch has been tested on Mac OSX (10.5) and Archlinux.
>
> References http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10530

Let me ask the same question than on the bug tracker, just in case :

Why doesn't openssl support the other sha* algo, and are there any
plans for a future support?

Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Xavier

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me ask the same question than on the bug tracker, just in case :
>
> Why doesn't openssl support the other sha* algo, and are there any
> plans for a future support?

Grr, I should finish reading all threads before answering.
I found this quite surprising that openssl did not support these,
because I could remember it supported a lot of things.
So in the end, it does support everything, so moving to openssl is
good thing for portability while preserving functionality.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Sebastian Nowicki

On 02/06/2008, at 5:14 PM, Xavier wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Let me ask the same question than on the bug tracker, just in case :
>>
>> Why doesn't openssl support the other sha* algo, and are there any
>> plans for a future support?
>>

> Grr, I should finish reading all threads before answering.
> I found this quite surprising that openssl did not support these,
> because I could remember it supported a lot of things.
> So in the end, it does support everything, so moving to openssl is
> good thing for portability while preserving functionality.

Yes, it does seem like a good solution. I just need to test Dan's fix
to the spaces problem. As I mentioned on the bug tracker I was unable
to get makepkg to look for filenames with spaces when using something
like source=('foo bar'), it instead looks for 'foo' and 'bar'. I have
no idea why it does this, so I'll look into it, but I have two exams
this week and then I'll be in the US for a week, so I don't really
have time to play with it.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:45 AM
"Antonio Huete Jimeenz"

Hi

As far as I know md5sum program in BSD is /sbin/md5, so maybe there's something like that in MacOS.
I'll provide a makepkg during this week that would fix this md5 checksum thingy among other things, so you can take a look to it and let me know if it works.

I got some other ideas for handling different OSes via CHOST variable. Let me few days to test it.

Regards,
Antonio Huete

I don't really like this solution, but it's the only portable solution I

could think of. Instead of using md5sum, sha1sum, etc from GNU

coreutils, openssl is used. Openssl has the limitation that it does not

support the other sha* algorithms, so they had to be removed from

makepkg. I don't like having to remove features in order to make

something more portable.

The patch has been tested on Mac OSX (10.5) and Archlinux.

References http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10530

*doc/makepkg.conf.5.txt | * *2 +-

*etc/makepkg.conf.in * *| * *2 +-

*scripts/makepkg.sh.in *| * *9 ++++-----

*3 files changed, 6 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)

Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Xavier

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Antonio Huete Jimeenz
<ahuete.devel@gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I know md5sum program in BSD is /sbin/md5, so maybe there's
> something like that in MacOS.
> I'll provide a makepkg during this week that would fix this md5 checksum
> thingy among other things, so you can take a look to it and let me know if
> it works.
>
> I got some other ideas for handling different OSes via CHOST variable. Let
> me few days to test it.

Actually, it is better to avoid this when possible.
The openssl solution is very nice and clean because it works the same
on all systems. You don't need any specific checks.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:32 AM
"Antonio Huete Jimeenz"

For the checksum verification it might be ok to use openssl since it's in base for almost all BSD system. But what about linux? You'll have to install it before using makepkg, and this means a dependency.

In the case of CHOST usage, I haven't explained it fine. It's not related to this checksum issue. I'll try to explain it better in another thread

Regards,
Antonio Huete

Old 06-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Xavier

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Antonio Huete Jimeenz
<ahuete.devel@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the checksum verification it might be ok to use openssl since it's in
> base for almost all BSD system. But what about linux? You'll have to install
> it before using makepkg, and this means a dependency.
>
> In the case of CHOST usage, I haven't explained it fine. It's not related to
> this checksum issue. I'll try to explain it better in another thread

openssl is in the base group of archlinux, so it is supposed to be
installed on every system.
But when you look at the number and the importance of the packages
requiring it, it is fully justified :
http://archlinux.org/packages/122/
I can even hardly imagine a linux distro without it. Or am I mistaken?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:08 AM
"Antonio Huete Jimeenz"

I agree, openssl is a must-have in every system :-)