Old 05-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Xavier

Default Use "legacy mode" for `file` on Mac OSX

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> # file -i is broken on Mac OSX unless legacy mode is set
> or at least I consider it broken.

As Xilon pointed out, the compat man page states that Mac OSX is
compliant to sus3.
Well maybe we can say that sus3 is broken but that is different.
Just saying that file -i does not work should be enough.

I am curious about how file interface is defined in posix and sus3 though.
And I didn't even hear about sus3 before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification
"In the early 1990s, a separate effort known as the Common API
Specification or Spec 1170 was initiated by several major vendors, who
formed the COSE alliance in the wake of the Unix wars. This
specification became more popular because it was available at no cost,
whereas the IEEE charged a substantial fee for access to the POSIX
specification."