Old 05-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Xavier

Default Use "--mime" instead of file's "-i" parameter, to increase portability

Sebastian Nowicki wrote:
> The equivalent of the "-i" argument for file on Linux is "-I" on BSD.
> Both version allow the use of the long option "--mime".

I checked freebsd and netbsd man pages, both seem to use -i as well.
I could not check openbsd one, the page is unavailable.
Where can we find other (older?) bsd man pages?

Old 05-26-2008, 06:38 AM
Xavier

Sebastian Nowicki wrote:

> I thought I sent a mail about that earlier, but I guess it didn't go
> through. -I is used on Mac OSX. When sending the patch I thought I
> checked that this was the case in other BSD man pages, but I must have
> confused that with something else.
>
> You can find the online copy here: http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/file.1.html
>
> I just looked through it again and it appears there's a "legacy"
> section, which does use the lower case -i…

I was fine with this change because it thought it was needed for every
BSD platform, but seeing it is just a mac osx change almost makes me
want to reconsider. Why did they change that?
And if you just use COMMAND_MODE=legacy to restore the normal interface,
this patch is no longer needed?