Old 05-23-2008, 07:09 AM
Allan McRae

Default Fix command line argument parsing in makepkg

Sebastian Nowicki wrote:
> On 23/05/2008, at 2:34 AM, Xavier wrote:
>

>> I found an alternative getopt function which might solve our problems,
>> but I am not sure we want to explicitly have all this complexity :
>> http://www.math.ias.edu/doc/bash-3.0/functions/getoptx.bash
>>
>> My second favorite way would be to kill all long options. The
>> problem is
>> that there are some long only option :
>> --asroot Allow makepkg to run as root user
>> --holdver Prevent automatic version bumping for development
>> PKGBUILDs
>> --source Do not build package; generate a source-only
>> tarball
>> --noconfirm Do not ask for confirmation when resolving
>> dependencies
>> --noprogressbar Do not show a progress bar when downloading
>> files
>>
>> So for each of these option, we can either :
>> 1) find a decent short option to rename it
>> 2) kill it totally
>> 3) find a replacement, for example a setting in makepkg.conf
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> --noprogressbar could probably go into makepkg.conf, but I think the
> rest needs to stay. -H could be used for --holdver, -n or -N for --
> noconfirm (the other could be used for --noprogressbar). -S is
> deprecated so it could be for --source instead. I'm not sure about --
> asroot. There's also --forcever.

I would be in favour of a shortened version of --noconfirm. I use
"makepkg -s" a lot and often wander away while the dependencies install
only to come back and find pacman asking for confirmation about
installing the makedepends.

However, --noprogressbar would be a bit strange in makepkg.conf given it
is really a pacman option.