Old 05-20-2008, 12:13 PM
"Ray Rashif"

Default Kernel Provision

Would it be alright for kernel packages to provide for others that depend on in-kernel features/functionalities, say, those from patches? Right now kernel26 has the linux-phc patch, and the following is a GUI tool to do what can be done,*well, graphically: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=17059

As you can see, it could either skip the kernel26 dependency and tell the user about the patch in install script - or - include the dependency like the above case and expect the user to adjust PKGBUILD for other kernels with the same patch.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Xavier

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Ray Rashif <schivmeister@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it be alright for kernel packages to provide for others that depend on
> in-kernel features/functionalities, say, those from patches? Right now
> kernel26 has the linux-phc patch, and the following is a GUI tool to do what
> can be done, well, graphically:
>
> As you can see, it could either skip the kernel26 dependency and tell the
> user about the patch in install script - or - include the dependency like
> the above case and expect the user to adjust PKGBUILD for other kernels with
> the same patch.

Yeah, that seems doable, there could be a virtual linux-phc provision,
provided by kernel26 packages and other kernel packages with that
patch. Then this phctool could depend on linux-phc.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:25 PM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/5/20 Ray Rashif <schivmeister@gmail.com>:
> Would it be alright for kernel packages to provide for others that depend on
> in-kernel features/functionalities, say, those from patches? Right now
> kernel26 has the linux-phc patch

wasn't it dropped in 2.6.25 packages?

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 05-21-2008, 04:17 PM
"Ray Rashif"

Oh I didn't know that = Anyway there may be other such kernels and yes a virtual provision is exactly what I'm thinking. Actually replaces could take care of it too but then it wouldn't make sense. So in the future, if say something like linux-phc is back in with some userspace tool being available, we could consider providing*- thanks (: