Old 05-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Xavier

Default Restore .pacsave file if present

Allan McRae wrote:
> This patch adds the ability to restore file "foo.pacsave" when installing
> file "foo". File "foo" is then installed as "foo.pacnew"
>
> I really need help with this one. I am a bit wary of this code given
> it is in one of the most essential parts of pacman. Despite the new
> pactest failure, I actually had the balls to test this out on my
> production system... Using the abs package and the /etc/abs.conf.pacsave
> file is restored and /etc/abs.conf.pacnew is created as expected.

This feature looks nice, but the problem is that the whole backup
handling code is really messy, with non obvious interactions in
conflict.c, remove.c and add.c and ugly hacks.
I probably even made the code worse when trying to do quick fixes for
3.1 releases.
And no work has been done for cleaning that since then.