Old 05-10-2008, 03:16 AM
Allan McRae

Default Libraries for makepkg

What are peoples opinions on adding some libraries to makepkg that would
quickly achieve some common tasks
(http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10375)? I think this is a trade of
between the ease of interpretation of a single command and understanding
what that command actually does. The need to import the function before
use makes me lean on the side of including these.

If we go for this, I would recommend some fairly strict guidelines on
their inclusion. e.g.
1) The function must be a command block in common use or have a good
case made for why it will be in the future.
2) The function must be significantly complex so that using it helps
with interpretation of the PKGBUILD.

I can think of one function which would save a lot of discussion around
here:
create_desktop_file(<progname>, <description>, <category>)

Allan

Old 05-10-2008, 03:53 AM
"Geoffroy Carrier"

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Allan McRae <mcraeallan@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I can think of one function which would save a lot of discussion around
> here:
> create_desktop_file(<progname>, <description>, <category>)
Except I think you need at least to use an icon, and if possible to
translate descriptions, that you might get locale issues (charset for
the name/description, even for international apps like Prot'eg'e I
happen to package), etc.
Else, seems a good idea )

I'd like something that would replace/shorten that (taken from javacc):

for _exe in javacc jjdoc jjtree
do
cat << EOF > $_exe
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/share/java/javacc/bin/$_exe $@
EOF
install -Dm755 $_exe "$pkgdir/usr/bin/$_exe"
done

--
Geoffroy Carrier

Old 05-10-2008, 04:06 AM
Eric Belanger

On Sat, 10 May 2008, Geoffroy Carrier wrote:

> I'd like something that would replace/shorten that (taken from javacc):
>
> for _exe in javacc jjdoc jjtree
> do
> cat << EOF > $_exe
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/share/java/javacc/bin/$_exe $@
> EOF
> install -Dm755 $_exe "$pkgdir/usr/bin/$_exe"
> done

That can be simplified by providing the 3 scripts and adding them to the
source array. That is is the recommended way to do this, I beleive.

believed to be clean.