Old 05-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Nagy Gabor

Default Conditional dependencies

Hi!

This may be a crazy idea, but I bring this on.
I've read some bugs on bug tracker, and I saw that "your kernel is too
old" sometimes. The problem is, that many users use custom
kernel (like me), that's why we cannot add 'kernel26>=...' dependency
to glibc for example. However, some users use arch-built kernel, and
they may break their system after installing a new glibc (well, at
least a warning in .install file would be helpful here).

So as a compromise, we could introduce a new type of dependency which
can be satisfied iff the user has no package (provision) installed
defined by dependency-name (and he gets a warning similar
to the helpful .install script) or it is installed the dependency is
satisfied treated as normal dependency. Thus a glibc update would force
a kernel update if needed but would never force kernel _add_.

Bye

Old 05-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Nagy Gabor

> Hi!
>
> This may be a crazy idea, but I bring this on.
> I've read some bugs on bug tracker, and I saw that "your kernel is too
> old" sometimes. The problem is, that many users use custom
> kernel (like me), that's why we cannot add 'kernel26>=...' dependency
> to glibc for example. However, some users use arch-built kernel, and
> they may break their system after installing a new glibc (well, at
> least a warning in .install file would be helpful here).
>
> So as a compromise, we could introduce a new type of dependency which
> can be satisfied iff the user has no package (provision) installed
> defined by dependency-name (and he gets a warning similar
> to the helpful .install script) or it is installed the dependency is
> satisfied treated as normal dependency. Thus a glibc update would
> force a kernel update if needed but would never force kernel _add_.
>
> Bye

Obviously the ideal solution would be that every user with
custom kernels, drivers, etc. would create and install a
'package-custom' package with 'package=pkgver' provision, and we could
define kernel26>=... dependencies too.

Bye

Old 05-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Miklos Vajna

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 04:40:46PM +0200, Nagy Gabor <ngaba@bibl.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
> old" sometimes. The problem is, that many users use custom
> kernel (like me), that's why we cannot add 'kernel26>=...' dependency
> to glibc for example.

s/the problem/your own personal problem/. why pacman would have to solve
your personal problems?

Old 05-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Nagy Gabor

> On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 04:40:46PM +0200, Nagy Gabor
> <ngaba@bibl.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
> > old" sometimes. The problem is, that many users use custom
> > kernel (like me), that's why we cannot add 'kernel26>=...'
> > dependency to glibc for example.
>
> s/the problem/your own personal problem/. why pacman would have to
> solve your personal problems?

Wrong. I had no such problem for years, I've just read FS#10209.

But if this were my own personal problem, why I should ignore my own
problem, and consider/fix only others'? ;-) Btw, I don't think that
there exist problems which appears on my system only.

Bye

Old 05-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Xavier

Nagy Gabor wrote:

> Obviously the ideal solution would be that every user with
> custom kernels, drivers, etc. would create and install a
> 'package-custom' package with 'package=pkgver' provision, and we could
> define kernel26>=... dependencies too.

And your proposal looks both less ideal and more complex.