-   -   Dropping support for non-ELF systems (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-pacman-development/706560-dropping-support-non-elf-systems.html)

Allan McRae 09-23-2012 08:59 AM

Dropping support for non-ELF systems

I would like opinions on dropping support for non-ELF systems. This
would keep Linux, BSD and Hurd, which are the real users of
pacman/makepkg. It would drop OSX and Cygwin support.

Currently the libdepends/libprovides code in makepkg (pacman-4.0)
depends on libraries being ELF formatted and we have had no complaints -
although that could be because no-one uses it...

Creating split debug packages will also assume ELF formatted files and I
have no intention of adjusting the code in such a way that other formats
can be readily added.

So... any objections to removing cygwin and darwin support?

Allan

Rémy Oudompheng 09-23-2012 12:02 PM

On 2012/9/23 Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> I would like opinions on dropping support for non-ELF systems. This
> would keep Linux, BSD and Hurd, which are the real users of
> pacman/makepkg. It would drop OSX and Cygwin support.
>
> Currently the libdepends/libprovides code in makepkg (pacman-4.0)
> depends on libraries being ELF formatted and we have had no complaints -
> although that could be because no-one uses it...
>
> Creating split debug packages will also assume ELF formatted files and I
> have no intention of adjusting the code in such a way that other formats
> can be readily added.
>
> So... any objections to removing cygwin and darwin support?

Does it simplify anything? I would have thought they would continue to
work normally except that the newest features that you mention would
simply not work/be ignored/be disabled on these systems.

Rémy.

Allan McRae 09-23-2012 12:25 PM

On 23/09/12 22:02, Rémy Oudompheng wrote:
> On 2012/9/23 Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> I would like opinions on dropping support for non-ELF systems. This
>> would keep Linux, BSD and Hurd, which are the real users of
>> pacman/makepkg. It would drop OSX and Cygwin support.
>>
>> Currently the libdepends/libprovides code in makepkg (pacman-4.0)
>> depends on libraries being ELF formatted and we have had no complaints -
>> although that could be because no-one uses it...
>>
>> Creating split debug packages will also assume ELF formatted files and I
>> have no intention of adjusting the code in such a way that other formats
>> can be readily added.
>>
>> So... any objections to removing cygwin and darwin support?
>
> Does it simplify anything? I would have thought they would continue to
> work normally except that the newest features that you mention would
> simply not work/be ignored/be disabled on these systems.

It would simplify the need to detect these systems and disable the
relevant features...

And supporting OSX has always been annoying.

Allan

Dave Reisner 09-23-2012 04:17 PM

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 06:59:36PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> I would like opinions on dropping support for non-ELF systems. This
> would keep Linux, BSD and Hurd, which are the real users of
> pacman/makepkg. It would drop OSX and Cygwin support.
>
> Currently the libdepends/libprovides code in makepkg (pacman-4.0)
> depends on libraries being ELF formatted and we have had no complaints -
> although that could be because no-one uses it...
>
> Creating split debug packages will also assume ELF formatted files and I
> have no intention of adjusting the code in such a way that other formats
> can be readily added.
>
> So... any objections to removing cygwin and darwin support?
>
> Allan

No objection here. We don't seem to have anyone actively involved who's
testing these platforms so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to try
and support them. I'd be surprised if recent pacman still built on
cygwin.