Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Christian Hesse

Default package versions with vcs packages

Hello everybody,

hg and svn packages do set vcs revision infos for package versions. Any
reason this does not apply to git, cvs and darcs?

Using a date string has the drawback that two revisions compiled the same day
result in packages with the same version...

A patch for git is attached. Any chance to get this merged? I could take a
look at darcs and cvs as well.
--
main(a){char*c=/* Schoene Gruesse */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/* Chris get my mail address: */=0;b=c[a++]

Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Allan McRae

On 17/07/12 19:41, Christian Hesse wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> hg and svn packages do set vcs revision infos for package versions. Any
> reason this does not apply to git, cvs and darcs?
>
> Using a date string has the drawback that two revisions compiled the same day
> result in packages with the same version...
>
> A patch for git is attached. Any chance to get this merged? I could take a
> look at darcs and cvs as well.

The VCS PKGBUILD system has been completely overhauled - see
https://projects.archlinux.org/users/allan/pacman.git/log/?h=vcs .
This will be merged into the main repo soon. It has the facility to
specify a pkgver() function that provides the updated version.

Note your git version setting code gives
"glibc_2.16_ports_merge_37_gb637d46" for the pkgver for glibc-git...
Just a sed to get rid of a "v" is not enough as any tag can be used.

Allan

Old 07-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Christian Hesse

Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> on Tue, 2012/07/17 20:00:
> On 17/07/12 19:41, Christian Hesse wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > hg and svn packages do set vcs revision infos for package versions. Any
> > reason this does not apply to git, cvs and darcs?
> >
> > Using a date string has the drawback that two revisions compiled the same
> > day result in packages with the same version...
> >
> > A patch for git is attached. Any chance to get this merged? I could take a
> > look at darcs and cvs as well.
> >

> The VCS PKGBUILD system has been completely overhauled - see
> https://projects.archlinux.org/users/allan/pacman.git/log/?h=vcs .
> This will be merged into the main repo soon. It has the facility to
> specify a pkgver() function that provides the updated version.

Ok, will wait for that to be merged upstream then.

> Note your git version setting code gives
> "glibc_2.16_ports_merge_37_gb637d46" for the pkgver for glibc-git...
> Just a sed to get rid of a "v" is not enough as any tag can be used.

Ok, you are right.
I just looked through my locally cloned git repositories, these do have
simple version tags.