-   -   libdownload portability (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-pacman-development/67314-libdownload-portability.html)

Sebastian Nowicki 04-10-2008 05:32 AM

libdownload portability

I'm looking into making a package manager for Mac OSX and I'd like to
use libalpm but currently it doesn't compile. I haven't tested this on
any real BSD systems but OS X is based on BSD so I assume it also
doesn't compile on BSD either. libdownload fails to co,pile because it
can't find libio.h, which appears to be a part of glibc on Linux. I
know Aaron forked libfetch and added some features, so I'm wondering
if it's possible to port those features back to BSD. If it is, I'd be
willing to look into doing so, but since my experience with C is low I
don't know how that will work out.

For any BSD users, is there an alternative to libio.h, hopefully with
a similar API, that would work with libdownload?

"Aaron Griffin" 04-10-2008 06:33 AM

libdownload portability

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:32 AM, Sebastian Nowicki <xilonmu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking into making a package manager for Mac OSX and I'd like to use
> libalpm but currently it doesn't compile. I haven't tested this on any real
> BSD systems but OS X is based on BSD so I assume it also doesn't compile on
> BSD either. libdownload fails to co,pile because it can't find libio.h,
> which appears to be a part of glibc on Linux. I know Aaron forked libfetch
> and added some features, so I'm wondering if it's possible to port those
> features back to BSD. If it is, I'd be willing to look into doing so, but
> since my experience with C is low I don't know how that will work out.

Dan has an OSX branch somewhere that makes everything compile and work there.

The "features" added to libdownload are minimal. I had contacted the
libfetch maintainer in the past and got no response. Either way, it's
not as huge deal.

If/when I provide a fetch.h compatibility header for libdownload, it'd
make all this easier.

Sebastian Nowicki 04-10-2008 06:36 AM

libdownload portability