Old 04-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Dan McGee

Default Manual rankmirrors.

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On a side note should pacman be using /proc/mounts for Checkspace
> rather than /etc/mtab.

1) We don't reference a filename at all in the code, we use
"standardized" functions to access this
2) On your Arch machine, /etc/mtab is a symlink to /proc/self/mounts already

So I'm not quite sure what your plan of action is here.

-Dan

Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Daniel Wallace

/etc/mtab is symlinked to /proc/self/mount

└─╼ ls -l /etc/mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Apr 1 19:41 /etc/mtab -> /proc/self/mounts

Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 PM
DJ Mills

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Would it be easy to add a ^S (Ctrl-S) to tell pacman to stop and retry
> at the next mirror.

The mirrors may not necessarily be in sync, the next mirror could have
a completely different version of the package. Could cause
difficulties...

Old 04-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Dave Reisner

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 08:49:48PM +0100, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> I use rankmirrors and I notice on timeouts pacman automatically
> switches. Today, though most packages downloaded quickly from the
> mirror just selected by rankmirrors, one or two went very very slow. I
> guess differing routes by different package requests.

How about ranking mirrors by a metric that's actually meaningful?
rankmirrors uses ping, which is utterly worthless, as you're seeing
right here. Mirror selection should be based on:

1) locality (and hopefully that correlates with speed)
2) update-to-date-ness

We provide a tool on www.archlinux.org [1] that offers this already. If
you suffer from the inability to make decisions, you can use Reflector,
which merely parses a JSON representation of this page and suggests
something for you.

> Would it be easy to add a ^S (Ctrl-S) to tell pacman to stop and retry
> at the next mirror. If I ever find the time, not too likely for a
> while, I might look into it. Just figured if anyone had worked on it
> and thought yeah I could just change that then it wold be worth
> flinging the idea at the devs.

I'm glad you've thought this through. Ctrl-S is the canonical key
combination for most terminals to trigger flow control off. If you'd
like to actually code this up, you'll need to rig up a non-blocking FD
connected to stdin of the controlling terminal. Make sure it's portable
to BSD, Cygwin, and OSX.

[1] http://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/

Old 04-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Kevin Chadwick

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 15:55:32 -0400
Dave Reisner wrote:

> How about ranking mirrors by a metric that's actually meaningful?
> rankmirrors uses ping, which is utterly worthless, as you're seeing
> right here. Mirror selection should be based on:

Aah, I always use tcping (or is it hping) for testing tcp connectivity.

Does it not check throughput and such.

> 1) locality (and hopefully that correlates with speed)
> 2) update-to-date-ness
>
> We provide a tool on www.archlinux.org [1] that offers this already. If
> you suffer from the inability to make decisions, you can use Reflector,
> which merely parses a JSON representation of this page and suggests
> something for you.

Well I chose the servers well manually, one night I guess the ISP UK2
was moving some data around or something because it went really slow so
I added rankmirrors to my update script.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Kevin Chadwick

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 14:00:05 -0500
Dan McGee wrote:

> 1) We don't reference a filename at all in the code, we use
> "standardized" functions to access this

Are error codes handled correctly? Seems /proc/mounts should
trump /etc/mtab to me.

> 2) On your Arch machine, /etc/mtab is a symlink to /proc/self/mounts already
>
> So I'm not quite sure what your plan of action is here.

Re-action really. To update yesterday I had to manually
remove /etc/mtab. This made Checkspace fail. I've decided to just
disable CheckSpace as it's caused a different problem before.

p.s. (I also had to mount /proc rw)

Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Martti Khne

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:19:35AM +0100, Kevin Chadwick wrote:

> Re-action really. To update yesterday I had to manually
> remove /etc/mtab. This made Checkspace fail. I've decided to just
> disable CheckSpace as it's caused a different problem before.
>
> p.s. (I also had to mount /proc rw)

Uh, I've heard that before? [1]
Wow... feels bad.

cheers!
mar77i

[1] http://www.archlinux.org/news/filesystem-upgrade-manual-intervention-required/

Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Kevin Chadwick

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 12:25:59 +0200
Martti Khne wrote:

> Uh, I've heard that before? [1]
> Wow... feels bad.
>
> cheers!
> mar77i
>
> [1] http://www.archlinux.org/news/filesystem-upgrade-manual-intervention-required/

It was a symlink and that had already been done.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Martti Khne

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:19:35AM +0100, Kevin Chadwick wrote:

> Re-action really. To update yesterday I had to manually
> remove /etc/mtab. This made Checkspace fail. I've decided to just
> disable CheckSpace as it's caused a different problem before.
>
> p.s. (I also had to mount /proc rw)

Could you elaborate on the error messages and why you did what you did, then?
Seems you left out a significant bit, since I have no comparable error here.