-   -   No error in makepkg when removing deps fails (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-pacman-development/63829-no-error-makepkg-when-removing-deps-fails.html)

Allan McRae 04-04-2008 04:55 AM

Miklos Vajna wrote:

> just do a -Q, save it, do a -Q after the build, diff the two list and
> remove the difference. so that if you did -S mta, you'll get postfix in
> the diff, or so.

I just implemented this strategy and while it would work for packages
that did not bring in too many dependencies, trying to build a more
complex package in a clean chroot failed due to the large number of deps
installed (e.g. xine-lib brings in 88 packages). The resulting package
list is too long to be removed in one command (sudo: unable to execute
/usr/bin/pacman: Argument list too long).

I don't see why this is necessary. If building using makepkg and you
see it fails to remove deps, then get the list from "pacman -Qtd". If
using makechrootpkg then just remove the "$CHROOT_SHELL/rw" directory
and all is fixed. I see the failure to remove the installed packages as
a failure in pacman. It should be able to "-Rs" chained dependencies
and provides. I don't like working around the true source of the
problem. So I doubt I will add to my initial patch - it solved the
problem I was trying to solve and let the user know there was a problem
removing deps which is all I think is necessary. If someone else wants
to add to it then go for it.

Cheers,
Allan

Allan McRae 04-04-2008 12:19 PM

Miklos Vajna wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 02:55:33PM +1000, Allan McRae <mcrae_allan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just implemented this strategy and while it would work for packages
>> that did not bring in too many dependencies, trying to build a more
>> complex package in a clean chroot failed due to the large number of deps
>> installed (e.g. xine-lib brings in 88 packages). The resulting package
>> list is too long to be removed in one command (sudo: unable to execute
>> /usr/bin/pacman: Argument list too long).
>>

> hmm, you do something wrong i think.
>
> chroot $CHROOTDIR pacman-g2 -Rcn $removelist --noconfirm
>
> is what i use and there is no such bug even for OOo, which has 239
> dependencies (including deps' deps recursively) in Frugalware.
>
> though yes, we use sudo with makepkg itself so there is no sudo pacman
> here, directly.

I echo'ed the package list while I was testing and it looked fine.
Maybe it is a sudo issue but it _should_ handle many more arguments than
that.