Old 04-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Allan McRae

Default No error in makepkg when removing deps fails

Allan McRae wrote:

> I'm looking into how to best do this at the moment. Is "pacman -Qtd"
> not enough here given everything is installed using --asdep? Ideally,
> pacman would remove the installed dependencies and this check can be
> removed.

Having actually played around with this some more I see that using
pacman is useless without setting up all the unionfs stuff. However,
what is wrong with removing the $CHROOT_SHELL/rw directory when
something like this happens? Apart from having to fix
$CHROOT_SHELL/rw/etc/sudoers (makechrootpkg appears to stuff up adding
the nobody user), I don't see any problem here. I could be missing
something.... How else do people clean up the chroot?

> It looks like makepkg/pacman is trying to remove mesa (a makedepend)
> before imagemagick (another makedepend that requires openexr). So this
> particular case could be fixed by removing mesa from the makedepeds.
> I'm looking into whether this is a makepkg's fault or pacman's. I'm
> guessing makepkg...

Turns out it is a pacman bug. If I have three packages (a, b and c)
where b depends on a and c depends on b, then a "pacman -Rs a c" fails.
I am making a pactest up for this now.

Allan

Old 04-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Miklos Vajna

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 01:13:42PM +1000, Allan McRae <mcrae_allan@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking into how to best do this at the moment. Is "pacman -Qtd"
> not enough here given everything is installed using --asdep? Ideally,
> pacman would remove the installed dependencies and this check can be
> removed.
>
> As Nagy said, the "-R provision" does not work at all.

just do a -Q, save it, do a -Q after the build, diff the two list and
remove the difference. so that if you did -S mta, you'll get postfix in
the diff, or so.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Miklos Vajna

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 02:55:33PM +1000, Allan McRae <mcrae_allan@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I just implemented this strategy and while it would work for packages
> that did not bring in too many dependencies, trying to build a more
> complex package in a clean chroot failed due to the large number of deps
> installed (e.g. xine-lib brings in 88 packages). The resulting package
> list is too long to be removed in one command (sudo: unable to execute
> /usr/bin/pacman: Argument list too long).

hmm, you do something wrong i think.

chroot $CHROOTDIR pacman-g2 -Rcn $removelist --noconfirm

is what i use and there is no such bug even for OOo, which has 239
dependencies (including deps' deps recursively) in Frugalware.

though yes, we use sudo with makepkg itself so there is no sudo pacman
here, directly.