-   -   compiling pacman and python wrapper (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-pacman-development/623906-compiling-pacman-python-wrapper.html)

Andrea Crotti 01-22-2012 02:33 PM

compiling pacman and python wrapper

I would like to create a python wrapper to access to pacman features,
and so I started to take a look about how it works..

The first thing that I noted is that the INSTALL instructions are a bit
confusing.
Because it says:

Briefly, the shell commands `./configure; make; make install' should
configure, build, and install this package. The following
instructions are generic. Run `./configure --help` for specific
options.

But actually there is no "configure" until autoconf is run, but that is
explained only later.
So maybe just inverting the order might be fine, first talking about
autoconf and configure.ac and after talking about configure && make.

Then I was actually trying to compile it myself but I get on configure:

configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: error: cannot find input file: `lib/libalpm/Makefile.in'

(from the git repository).

And about my original idea, is anyone interested?
From what I've understood I think I might use SWIG using the file alpm.h
as header and export all the symbols in a nice Python wrapper, does it
make sense?

Jelle van der Waa 01-22-2012 02:37 PM

On 22/01/12 16:33, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> I would like to create a python wrapper to access to pacman features,
> and so I started to take a look about how it works..
>
> The first thing that I noted is that the INSTALL instructions are a bit
> confusing.
> Because it says:

> Briefly, the shell commands `./configure; make; make install' should
> configure, build, and install this package. The following
> instructions are generic. Run `./configure --help` for specific
> options.
>
> But actually there is no "configure" until autoconf is run, but that is
> explained only later.
> So maybe just inverting the order might be fine, first talking about
> autoconf and configure.ac and after talking about configure && make.
>
> Then I was actually trying to compile it myself but I get on configure:

> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: error: cannot find input file: `lib/libalpm/Makefile.in'
>
> (from the git repository).
>
> And about my original idea, is anyone interested?
> From what I've understood I think I might use SWIG using the file alpm.h
> as header and export all the symbols in a nice Python wrapper, does it
> make sense?

If i understand you correctly, you want to use pacman with python so why
don't you look at PYALPM. ( Libalpm bindings for Python 3)

--
Jelle van der Waa

Dan McGee 01-22-2012 03:56 PM

compiling pacman and python wrapper

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Andrea Crotti
<andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to create a python wrapper to access to pacman features,
> and so I started to take a look about how it works..
>
> The first thing that I noted is that the INSTALL instructions are a bit
> confusing.
> Because it says:

> Briefly, the shell commands `./configure; make; make install' should
> configure, build, and install this package. *The following
> instructions are generic. Run `./configure --help` for specific
> options.
>
> But actually there is no "configure" until autoconf is run, but that is
> explained only later.
> So maybe just inverting the order might be fine, first talking about
> autoconf and configure.ac and after talking about configure && make.
./autogen.sh if you are building from git and not a tarball.

-Dan

Andrea Crotti 01-22-2012 06:22 PM

On 01/22/2012 04:56 PM, Dan McGee wrote:
./autogen.sh if you are building from git and not a tarball. -Dan

Ok thanks, the point was just that it was not written anywhere, maybe
it would be good to add a section INSTALL FROM GIT.
I can figure it out of course but it might be good to have it somewhere..

Or some other projects have a separate file, for example INSTALL.git
which might not ship with the tarball for example.

Dave Reisner 01-22-2012 06:23 PM

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pa/pacman-git/PKGBUILD

Andrea Crotti 01-22-2012 06:39 PM

On 01/22/2012 07:23 PM, Dave Reisner wrote:

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pa/pacman-git/PKGBUILD

Thanks I didn't see that, but in general if I want to play with some
code I don't
really install with yaourt, I just clone/checkout the repository, and
the information

about how to build should be in the repository itself, not somewhere else,
my 2 cents..

Not a big deal of course..

Dan McGee 01-22-2012 06:51 PM

compiling pacman and python wrapper

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Andrea Crotti
<andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/22/2012 07:23 PM, Dave Reisner wrote:
>>
>> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pa/pacman-git/PKGBUILD
>>

> Thanks I didn't see that, but in general if I want to play with some code I
> don't
> really install with yaourt, I just clone/checkout the repository, and the
> information
> about how to build should be in the repository itself, not somewhere else,
> my 2 cents..
>
> Not a big deal of course..

Having an autogen or autogen.sh script ends to be a pretty standard
convention in the C/autoconf program world.

-Dan