Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   ArchLinux Pacman Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-pacman-development/)
-   -   Couple of questions about libalpm doc, and pacman/copyright (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-pacman-development/619060-couple-questions-about-libalpm-doc-pacman-copyright.html)

jjacky 01-09-2012 05:09 PM

Couple of questions about libalpm doc, and pacman/copyright
 
Hey there,

So I've been working on a little app using libalpm, and I have a couple
of questions. Hopefully it's okay to ask this here.


First off, a quick question regarding the doc. Looking at the source
code i see functions are nicely commented, but all I could find as
documentation was this man page:
https://www.archlinux.org/pacman/libalpm.3.html
Since it's totally possible, did I actually miss something (obvious), or
are there no (generated) doc publicly available?


It's certainly not a problem, especially since I find the libalpm/pacman
source code to be really clean/easy to read/follow; It's quite simple to
figure out how things work and how to use them, so congratulations on
that, great work. (I wish my code looked as nice.)


But while I read pacman's code a lot to see how things are done, I
happen to actually also full copy/paste stuff in my app, including
complete functions (e.g. the whole parsing of the config file,
strtrim(), humanize_size(), etc).


So I wonder, what's the right thing to do when it comes to this, and
copyright? I should probably mention that I'm very new at all this, so
I'm not sure, for instance, what should be included in the source files
of my app, on its copyright/version message, etc


I'll release my stuff on GPL3+, and I believe pacman is GPL2+, so based
on what I read it's compatible/allowed, I just wonder what's the proper
way to do it. Like, should I include something like this: Copyright (C)
2012 Pacman Development Team


Lastly, while doing all this I came up with 2 (very) minor patches for
pacman, so I'll share those. But I'm guessing it would be better as
separate emails/threads, so I'll do it that way.


Thanks,
-jjacky

jjacky 01-09-2012 05:41 PM

Couple of questions about libalpm doc, and pacman/copyright
 
On 01/09/12 19:28, Dave Reisner wrote:

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 07:09:12PM +0100, jjacky wrote:

Hey there,

So I've been working on a little app using libalpm, and I have a
couple of questions. Hopefully it's okay to ask this here.

First off, a quick question regarding the doc. Looking at the source
code i see functions are nicely commented, but all I could find as
documentation was this man page:
https://www.archlinux.org/pacman/libalpm.3.html
Since it's totally possible, did I actually miss something
(obvious), or are there no (generated) doc publicly available?


It's available, and it's religiously updated by Dan for git master:

http://code.toofishes.net/pacman/doc/


oh, nice! Thanks.



It's certainly not a problem, especially since I find the
libalpm/pacman source code to be really clean/easy to read/follow;
It's quite simple to figure out how things work and how to use them,
so congratulations on that, great work. (I wish my code looked as
nice.)


There's some places where it's not so nice, too ;)


But while I read pacman's code a lot to see how things are done, I
happen to actually also full copy/paste stuff in my app, including
complete functions (e.g. the whole parsing of the config file,
strtrim(), humanize_size(), etc).

So I wonder, what's the right thing to do when it comes to this, and
copyright? I should probably mention that I'm very new at all this,
so I'm not sure, for instance, what should be included in the source
files of my app, on its copyright/version message, etc


Sure. You can check out some of the code that we've borrowed from other
projects -- PolarSSL, libcurl, RPM. Basically, it's set aside in a
separate .c file and includes a header from libalpm to carry protos. The
foreign project's copyright goes at the top of the .c with a note about
any possible modifications we've made.


Okay, thanks; I'll check that then, and try & make sure to include
proper copyright notices in my .c files as well.



I'll release my stuff on GPL3+, and I believe pacman is GPL2+, so
based on what I read it's compatible/allowed, I just wonder what's
the proper way to do it. Like, should I include something like this:
Copyright (C) 2012 Pacman Development Team


Yes, we use GPL2. I'm personally not a fan of how strict GPL3 is, and
personally choose to use MIT/ISC for my projects. IANAL, but I believe
you are correct -- a GPL3 project can include GPL2 source as long as it
retains the copyright notice.


Lastly, while doing all this I came up with 2 (very) minor patches
for pacman, so I'll share those. But I'm guessing it would be better
as separate emails/threads, so I'll do it that way.


Thanks,
dave






-j

Dan McGee 01-09-2012 05:47 PM

Couple of questions about libalpm doc, and pacman/copyright
 
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM, jjacky <i.am.jack.mail@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 01/09/12 19:28, Dave Reisner wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 07:09:12PM +0100, jjacky wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey there,
>>>
>>> So I've been working on a little app using libalpm, and I have a
>>> couple of questions. Hopefully it's okay to ask this here.
>>>
>>> First off, a quick question regarding the doc. Looking at the source
>>> code i see functions are nicely commented, but all I could find as
>>> documentation was this man page:
>>> https://www.archlinux.org/pacman/libalpm.3.html
>>> Since it's totally possible, did I actually miss something
>>> (obvious), or are there no (generated) doc publicly available?
>>
>>
>> It's available, and it's religiously updated by Dan for git master:
>>
>> * http://code.toofishes.net/pacman/doc/

I haven't actually updated it in a while, haha. I will put this on my
TODO list though, it is quite easy to do.

If you cd into doc/ and just run `doxygen`, you'll get some of it.
Flip on a few options in the Doxyfile and you'll be able to get what I
have up there.

-Dan

Dan McGee 01-09-2012 06:13 PM

Couple of questions about libalpm doc, and pacman/copyright
 
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 12:47:29PM -0600, Dan McGee wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM, jjacky <i.am.jack.mail@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > On 01/09/12 19:28, Dave Reisner wrote:
>> >>
>> >> On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 07:09:12PM +0100, jjacky wrote:
>> >>>
>> >>> Hey there,
>> >>>
>> >>> So I've been working on a little app using libalpm, and I have a
>> >>> couple of questions. Hopefully it's okay to ask this here.
>> >>>
>> >>> First off, a quick question regarding the doc. Looking at the source
>> >>> code i see functions are nicely commented, but all I could find as
>> >>> documentation was this man page:
>> >>> https://www.archlinux.org/pacman/libalpm.3.html
>> >>> Since it's totally possible, did I actually miss something
>> >>> (obvious), or are there no (generated) doc publicly available?
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> It's available, and it's religiously updated by Dan for git master:
>> >>
>> >> * http://code.toofishes.net/pacman/doc/
>>
>> I haven't actually updated it in a while, haha. I will put this on my
>> TODO list though, it is quite easy to do.
>
> No? Doxygen says this is all dated January 8th. You sure you don't have
> some post receive hook triggering a rebuild?

OK, now it is fully updated.

-Dan


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.