Old 09-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Thomas Baquet

Default Repositories management in enterprise

Hi there,
While I was thinking how to deploy an ArchLinux like distribution in
enterprise, I pointed that the biggest problem is the management of the
updates. I though it could be interesting if there is way system like:

Master ArchLinux repos → Enterprise repositories → Users, employees

When is there an update to the master repos, the update will be done in
a testing repos in the enterprise repositories; Then, administrators can
verify if there is no problem for compatibility with the deployed
machines, and if is okay, update the main repository of the enterprise.

So my question is: is there a mechanism to do it automatically?

--
Thomas Baquet

Jabber ID: me lordblackfox net
Website: http://lordblackfox.net/

Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Dan McGee

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Thomas Baquet <me@lordblackfox.net> wrote:
> Hi there,
> While I was thinking how to deploy an ArchLinux like distribution in
> enterprise, I pointed that the biggest problem is the management of the
> updates. I though it could be interesting if there is way system like:
>
> Master ArchLinux repos → Enterprise repositories → Users, employees
>
> When is there an update to the master repos, the update will be done in a
> testing repos in the enterprise repositories; Then, administrators can
> verify if there is no problem for compatibility with the deployed machines,
> and if is okay, update the main repository of the enterprise.
>
> So my question is: is there a mechanism to do it automatically?

What in this process could be done "automatically"? If you mean
"automated", there is nothing out there right now that I know of that
would enable this workflow out of the box, but it doesn't seem like
something that hard or impossible to script. You'd just want to have a
local mirror of the packages, do an -Sy or equivalent on a box which
would give you the repos at a state in time, test that state, and then
serve those versions of the databases in-house once you verified them.

-Dan