Old 08-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Martti Kühne

Default let cache cleanup scripts be called through -Sc but keep KeepCurrent and KeepInstalled as valid options

I have a suggestion to make, concerning that cache cleaning topic of
[1]. Pacman itself seems to cover some cache cleaning functionality
with -Sc (I noticed when updating the config file). Would it not make
sense to move that out into little scripts which in turn are called by
pacman internally through the CleaningMethod (and transform that one
into a shell command)?
Another way would be adding the options

CleaningMethod = CleanupScript
CleanupScript = /path/to/my/cache_vacuum_cleaner

Letting CleaningMethod = CleanupScript accept a second parameter, like
CleaningMethod = CleanupScript <file> would look even nicer, but might
break pacman's coding guidelines.
That way everyone could staple his own cache cleaning script to
pacman. If the idea is sort of accepted, I could look into the issue
myself, even.

mar77i

[1] http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2011-July/013928.html

Old 08-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Dan McGee

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Martti Kühne <mysatyre@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a suggestion to make, concerning that cache cleaning topic of
> [1]. Pacman itself seems to cover some cache cleaning functionality
> with -Sc (I noticed when updating the config file). Would it not make
> sense to move that out into little scripts which in turn are called by
> pacman internally through the CleaningMethod (and transform that one
> into a shell command)?
> Another way would be adding the options
>
> CleaningMethod = CleanupScript
> CleanupScript = /path/to/my/cache_vacuum_cleaner
>
> Letting CleaningMethod = CleanupScript accept a second parameter, like
> CleaningMethod = CleanupScript <file> would look even nicer, but might
> break pacman's coding guidelines.
> That way everyone could staple his own cache cleaning script to
> pacman. If the idea is sort of accepted, I could look into the issue
> myself, even.

Seems a bit overkill when people can just call a different command.
I'd like to stay KISS here, and adding a whole script-invoking set of
code to the cleanup stuff seems a bit overkill.

4.0.0 will have a new paccache cleaning script [1] in contrib/.

-Dan

[1] http://projects.archlinux.org/pacman.git/tree/contrib/paccache.in