Old 02-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Xavier

Default -Sc and shared cache

This was already discussed here :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-January/010940.html

And then more recently in bbs :

The guy there started to write a little script on his own, and that made
me realize that the behavior he wanted is actually pretty close to the
current -Sc code. Only a small part needs to be changed, most of the
code can be re-used. But instead of only keeping the packages which are
in the local database, we would keep the packages which are in a sync
database.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=330487#p330487

So I hacked a patch together. It's not really usable yet, because it's
not configurable , only the second behavior will be used. It's only a
proof of concept for now. (and anyway, it only prints the package that
it wants to remove, it doesn't actually remove them, for testing purpose)
I just wanted to know what others think about proposing two different
behaviors for -Sc, and how the user could choose between both (maybe an
additional flag, but which?).

Old 02-14-2008, 09:40 PM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/2/15, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com>:
> This was already discussed here :
> http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-January/010940.html
>
> And then more recently in bbs :
> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=43809
>
> The guy there started to write a little script on his own, and that made
> me realize that the behavior he wanted is actually pretty close to the
> current -Sc code. Only a small part needs to be changed, most of the
> code can be re-used. But instead of only keeping the packages which are
> in the local database, we would keep the packages which are in a sync
> database.
> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=330487#p330487
>
> So I hacked a patch together. It's not really usable yet, because it's
> not configurable , only the second behavior will be used. It's only a
> proof of concept for now. (and anyway, it only prints the package that
> it wants to remove, it doesn't actually remove them, for testing purpose)
> I just wanted to know what others think about proposing two different
> behaviors for -Sc, and how the user could choose between both (maybe an
> additional flag, but which?).

Great work!
+111 from me for keeping the current behaviour of -Sc as the default
and bring back the old -Sc behaviour available with some extra flag.
I think it can be pacman.conf-only, so it can be long-named
(e.g. KeepNotInstalledButUpToDatePackagesInCache ;-P)
I think users will prefer only one behaviour for all -Sc operations anyway.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 02-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Xavier

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:40:31AM +0200, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> Great work!
> +111 from me for keeping the current behaviour of -Sc as the default
> and bring back the old -Sc behaviour available with some extra flag.
> I think it can be pacman.conf-only, so it can be long-named
> (e.g. KeepNotInstalledButUpToDatePackagesInCache ;-P)
> I think users will prefer only one behaviour for all -Sc operations anyway.

That makes sense.
Your suggestion is a bit long though