Old 07-04-2011, 03:35 PM
"David J. Haines"

Default Mirrorlist as Dependency

All,

I was wondering whether it would be perhaps closer to KISS and/or more
logically coherent not to have pacman-mirrorlist as a dependency of pacman.
You don't actually need the mirrors to use pacman, and if you maintain a
local mirror or build your own packages with ABS, /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
just gets in the way and/or becomes cruft.

Thoughts?

David J. Haines
dhaines@gmail.com

Old 07-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Martti Kühne

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 5:35 PM, David J. Haines <dhaines@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I was wondering whether it would be perhaps closer to KISS and/or more
> logically coherent not to have pacman-mirrorlist as a dependency of pacman.
> You don't actually need the mirrors to use pacman, and if you maintain a
> local mirror or build your own packages with ABS, /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
> just gets in the way and/or becomes cruft.
>
> Thoughts?

Well, in case of Archlinux, that dependency makes totally sense.
Pacman delivered without any mirrorlist would be very confusing to new
users.
I guess you're looking at Archlinux' pacman PKGBUILD file, which I
assume is of course part of the Archlinux project, not of the pacman
project. A change of package name to archlinux-mirrorlist on that
front would make sense indeed. But that request I guess should be made
on a different mailing list.

cheers!
mar77i

Old 07-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Dan McGee

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Martti Kühne <mysatyre@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 5:35 PM, David J. Haines <dhaines@gmail.com> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I was wondering whether it would be perhaps closer to KISS and/or more
>> logically coherent not to have pacman-mirrorlist as a dependency of pacman.
>> You don't actually need the mirrors to use pacman, and if you maintain a
>> local mirror or build your own packages with ABS, /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
>> just gets in the way and/or becomes cruft.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> Well, in case of Archlinux, that dependency makes totally sense.
> Pacman delivered without any mirrorlist would be very confusing to new
> users.
> I guess you're looking at Archlinux' pacman PKGBUILD file, which I
> assume is of course part of the Archlinux project, not of the pacman
> project. A change of package name to archlinux-mirrorlist on that
> front would make sense indeed. But that request I guess should be made
> on a different mailing list.

For Arch, it doesn't really make sense to have pacman without a mirror
list, and I'm not interested in dealing with 50 bug reports to save
someone one package install and 10KB saved on their system.

There is no reason you can't point your pacman.conf at any other
server file, there is no reason it needs to be only an "Include =
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist", so keep that in mind.

-Dan

Old 07-05-2011, 04:41 PM
"David J. Haines"

That's fair. I just thought it might be "cleaner" to get rid of it. I didn't
think of the support requirements, I will admit.

Dan, you can disregard the feature request that I filed (unless you've
changed your mind). As per Martti's pointing out that this wasn't the right
list, and as I couldn't figure out which one was, I just filed a report in
Flyspray.

David J. Haines
dhaines@gmail.com

Old 07-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Dan McGee

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:41 AM, David J. Haines <dhaines@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's fair. I just thought it might be "cleaner" to get rid of it. I didn't
> think of the support requirements, I will admit.
>
> Dan, you can disregard the feature request that I filed (unless you've
> changed your mind). As per Martti's pointing out that this wasn't the right
> list, and as I couldn't figure out which one was, I just filed a report in
> Flyspray.

Yes, unfortunately users tend to muck things up, and even if was
installed as a part of the base install I can see someone uninstalling
the package and suddenly wondering why their system is not updating.

-Dan