-   -   Differences between pacman and pacman-g2 (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-pacman-development/52458-differences-between-pacman-pacman-g2.html)

ciol 02-11-2008 09:04 AM

Differences between pacman and pacman-g2

Hi, what are the differences between pacman and pacman-g2?

Thanks.

"Roman Kyrylych" 02-11-2008 10:19 AM

2008/2/11, ciol <ciol13@gmail.com>:
> Hi, what are the differences between pacman and pacman-g2?

pacman-g2 is a fork of pacman maintained by Frugalware developers.
* libalpm renamed to libpacman, and with time became more different in
some places,
so I believe they are not very compatible now,
also I guess config files are incompatible as well
* it uses libftp instead of libdownload (although they patch it
anyway, so I don't see the benefit they've claimed in their README in
past)
* claims to provide a stable API
* has bindings for some languages
* supports subpackages
* Frugalware uses sha1sums and bzipped packages IIRC
* many _F* extensions used in Frugalware's PKGBUILDs.

Frugalware's point of view is described in pacman-g2's README
Also read its history - it's interesting.
The current version is pretty unbiased, the only incorrect thing I've
found during a quick look is:
> Some features that pacman-g2 has over pacman: (September 2007)
> 4) Localized manpages.
We do have localized manpages.

AFAIR at least 3 small distributions use(d) pacman,
and IIRC one use{s,d} pacman-g2.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Miklos Vajna 02-11-2008 12:51 PM

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 01:19:27PM +0200, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Some features that pacman-g2 has over pacman: (September 2007)
> > 4) Localized manpages.
> We do have localized manpages.

hm? do you mean there are localied manpages for pacman, makepkg and so
on?

iirc it po4a support has been removed from pacman.git as it conflicted
with the arch way

thanks,
- VMiklos

"Roman Kyrylych" 02-11-2008 01:16 PM

2008/2/11, Miklos Vajna <vmiklos@frugalware.org>:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 01:19:27PM +0200, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Some features that pacman-g2 has over pacman: (September 2007)
> > > 4) Localized manpages.
> > We do have localized manpages.
>
> hm? do you mean there are localied manpages for pacman, makepkg and so
> on?
>
> iirc it po4a support has been removed from pacman.git as it conflicted
> with the arch way

My bad... I've totally confused localized manpages with the rest of
localization. :-(
/me scratches his head
Sorry, Miklos. :-)

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Miklos Vajna 02-11-2008 01:28 PM

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 04:16:36PM +0200, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> My bad... I've totally confused localized manpages with the rest of
> localization. :-(
> /me scratches his head
> Sorry, Miklos. :-)

ah, ok. no problem :)