Old 04-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Rémy Oudompheng

Default released version 0.2

Hello,

pyalpm version 0.2 is available at
ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/other/pyalpm/pyalpm-0.2.tar.gz

There is also a PKGBUILD on AUR. I have not really wrapped more
libalpm functions, but I have begun writing a clone of pacman in
Python. The goal is multiple:

* have Python modules giving access to pacman functionalities which
are not strictly in libalpm (like configuration via pacman.conf)
* have an easy way to test the bindings more extensively
* provide material allowing to hack quickly a pacman variant
* see how the use of another language affects pacman's code
* have fun

For the moment, it is in a very early stage and only gives access to
simple database lookup functions. The script is called pycman and
supports options -Q[ilq], -S[iglq], -T.

pycman/pyalpm works with Python 3.2 (needed for argparse module) and
libalpm from pacman 3.5 (the current targeted API).

--
Rémy.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:38 AM
Xyne

Rémy Oudompheng wrote:

> Hello,
>
> pyalpm version 0.2 is available at
> ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/other/pyalpm/pyalpm-0.2.tar.gz
>
> There is also a PKGBUILD on AUR. I have not really wrapped more
> libalpm functions, but I have begun writing a clone of pacman in
> Python. The goal is multiple:
>
> * have Python modules giving access to pacman functionalities which
> are not strictly in libalpm (like configuration via pacman.conf)
> * have an easy way to test the bindings more extensively
> * provide material allowing to hack quickly a pacman variant
> * see how the use of another language affects pacman's code
> * have fun
>
> For the moment, it is in a very early stage and only gives access to
> simple database lookup functions. The script is called pycman and
> supports options -Q[ilq], -S[iglq], -T.
>
> pycman/pyalpm works with Python 3.2 (needed for argparse module) and
> libalpm from pacman 3.5 (the current targeted API).
>
> --
> Rémy.

Hi,

I'm following this with interest. It should be very useful for both full
applications and quick scripts, and I'm sure that I'll have some fun with it
when I have the time.

You might find the Reflector module (Python 3.2) useful:
http://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/reflector/

If no one else does (and maybe even if they do), I might eventually write an AUR
module to interaction with the RPC interface. That should complement pyalpm
nicely.

Is this intended to become an official project, or just a fun personal project?

Regards,
Xyne

Old 04-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Rémy Oudompheng

On 2011/4/4 Xyne <xyne@archlinux.ca> wrote:
> Rémy Oudompheng wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> pyalpm version 0.2 is available at
>> * ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/other/pyalpm/pyalpm-0.2.tar.gz
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> pycman/pyalpm works with Python 3.2 (needed for argparse module) and
>> libalpm from pacman 3.5 (the current targeted API).
>>
> I'm following this with interest. It should be very useful for both full
> applications and quick scripts, and I'm sure that I'll have some fun with it
> when I have the time.

Hello,

> You might find the Reflector module (Python 3.2) useful:
> http://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/reflector/
>
> If no one else does (and maybe even if they do), I might eventually write an AUR
> module to interaction with the RPC interface. That should complement pyalpm
> nicely.

I'm not really paying attention to these because my aim is to use
pyalpm in namcap, and make sure it remains independent of Archlinux
things, just as pacman/libalpm. But having all of these would be nice
for Python fans wanting to develop any sort of wrapper or helper.

> Is this intended to become an official project, or just a fun personal project?

I'd be pleased if anyone wants this to become an official project. I
do this as a personal project, but with particular uses in mind.

Rémy.