-   -   make gpgme optional (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-pacman-development/507798-make-gpgme-optional.html)

Rémy Oudompheng 03-30-2011 11:06 PM

make gpgme optional

The package signing Wiki page says we could make gpgme optional for
pacman. The two following (very small patches) define another callback
for package signing. It allows to make gpgme optional while preserving
signature check capabilities, via an external callback.

How such a callback could be defined remains to be decided in pacman
code or pacman.conf syntax.

--
Rémy.

Rémy Oudompheng 04-10-2011 11:37 AM

Make gpgme optional

These patches (partially already submitted before) make linking with
gpgme optional, and also implement a configuration option for
pacman to use an external tool for signature checking.
The given example is "gpg --verify - $filename", but "/bin/true"
could be used to totally bypass checking.

To apply on branch 'master', after the previously posted patch set.

Rémy Oudompheng (4):
handle: define a new callback for signature check
signing: make gpgme optional and default to user callback
pacman: add a configuration key for signature checking command
pacman: implement signature check callback using an external command

configure.ac | 19 ++++++++++-
etc/pacman.conf.in | 1 +
lib/libalpm/alpm.h | 12 +++++++
lib/libalpm/error.c | 2 +
lib/libalpm/handle.c | 13 ++++++++
lib/libalpm/handle.h | 1 +
lib/libalpm/signing.c | 33 +++++++++++++++++++--
lib/libalpm/signing.h | 2 +-
lib/libalpm/sync.c | 6 ++-
src/pacman/callback.c | 78 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
src/pacman/callback.h | 3 ++
src/pacman/conf.h | 1 +
src/pacman/pacman.c | 4 ++

1.7.4.4

Dan McGee 04-11-2011 07:01 PM

Make gpgme optional

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 6:37 AM, Rémy Oudompheng
<remyoudompheng@gmail.com> wrote:
> These patches (partially already submitted before) make linking with
> gpgme optional, and also implement a configuration option for
> pacman to use an external tool for signature checking.
> The given example is "gpg --verify - $filename", but "/bin/true"
> could be used to totally bypass checking.

You totally misread my TODO item, sorry, and I never intended someone
else to do this one but put it on the list in trying to be open about
things. :/

I meant nothing about letting an external tool validate signatures; as
a matter of fact I am highly against this. I only wanted gpgme and
signature checking to be an option that could be omitted when
compiling, for instance if someone decided to use this to manage
custom packages elsewhere with no intent of sharing publicly, or
another OS where gpg is not so readily available.

So I will take a look at the first half, but the second half will not
be going anywhere.

-Dan

Rémy Oudompheng 04-11-2011 07:17 PM

Make gpgme optional

On 2011/4/11 Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 6:37 AM, Rémy Oudompheng
> <remyoudompheng@gmail.com> wrote:
>> These patches (partially already submitted before) make linking with
>> gpgme optional, and also implement a configuration option for
>> pacman to use an external tool for signature checking.
>> The given example is "gpg --verify - $filename", but "/bin/true"
>> could be used to totally bypass checking.
>
> You totally misread my TODO item, sorry, and I never intended someone
> else to do this one but put it on the list in trying to be open about
> things. :/
>
> I meant nothing about letting an external tool validate signatures; as
> a matter of fact I am highly against this. I only wanted gpgme and
> signature checking to be an option that could be omitted when
> compiling, for instance if someone decided to use this to manage
> custom packages elsewhere with no intent of sharing publicly, or
> another OS where gpg is not so readily available.

Gah I read "like we do with our download code" which looked exactly
like I thought. However, I may understand that you don't want to merge
this, even if I found the idea interesting.

--
Rémy.