-   -   Pacman and CheckSpace on the install CD (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-pacman-development/499890-pacman-checkspace-install-cd.html)

Dan McGee 03-11-2011 01:17 AM

Pacman and CheckSpace on the install CD

Has anyone tried this yet? Or at least in a similar "let me mount a
bunch of drives under a folder and set my root to that" type
situation? Just want to make sure all the statvfs() stuff plays nice
with chrooting and such, although I guess we don't chroot during the
install itself...

-Dan

Allan McRae 03-11-2011 02:21 AM

Pacman and CheckSpace on the install CD

Has anyone tried this yet? Or at least in a similar "let me mount a
bunch of drives under a folder and set my root to that" type
situation? Just want to make sure all the statvfs() stuff plays nice
with chrooting and such, although I guess we don't chroot during the
install itself...

I have used it with mkarchroot (which does a pacman -r) with no issues.
I assume the installer essentially does the same.

What will not work, is using this within a chroot... Run "df" inside a
chroot to see why. Perhaps we should document that in the man page?

Allan

Dan McGee 03-11-2011 03:08 AM

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 11/03/11 12:17, Dan McGee wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone tried this yet? Or at least in a similar "let me mount a
>> bunch of drives under a folder and set my root to that" type
>> situation? Just want to make sure all the statvfs() stuff plays nice
>> with chrooting and such, although I guess we don't chroot during the
>> install itself...
>>

> I have used it with mkarchroot (which does a pacman -r) with no issues. *I
> assume the installer essentially does the same.
>
> What will not work, is using this within a chroot... * Run "df" inside a
> chroot to see why. *Perhaps we should document that in the man page?
Might not be a terrible idea, and not sure there is any good way we
can work around that.

-Dan

Dieter Plaetinck 03-11-2011 07:51 AM

Pacman and CheckSpace on the install CD

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:08:34 -0600
Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org>
> wrote:
> > On 11/03/11 12:17, Dan McGee wrote:
> >>
> >> Has anyone tried this yet? Or at least in a similar "let me mount a
> >> bunch of drives under a folder and set my root to that" type
> >> situation? Just want to make sure all the statvfs() stuff plays
> >> nice with chrooting and such, although I guess we don't chroot
> >> during the install itself...
> >>

> > I have used it with mkarchroot (which does a pacman -r) with no
> > issues. *I assume the installer essentially does the same.
> >
> > What will not work, is using this within a chroot... * Run "df"
> > inside a chroot to see why. *Perhaps we should document that in the
> > man page?
> Might not be a terrible idea, and not sure there is any good way we
> can work around that.
>
> -Dan

FWIW.
AIF has cans install in the live system, as well as the target
system. like this:

PACMAN=pacman
PACMAN_TARGET="pacman --root $var_TARGET_DIR --config /tmp/pacman.conf"

https://github.com/Dieterbe/aif/blob/master/src/aif.sh#L139

Dieter