Old 02-26-2011, 04:42 PM

Default License for new contributions?

Hello pacman team!

I've been following development for quite some time, and would like
to submit my package signing patches for review.

However, since some of the files are entirely new, they would have
a license header. I would like to know under what license should I
release my work.

I bring this up because during this time I overlooked the inclusion
of the rankmirrors script, which I've now noticed to be GPL v3 code.

Should my files be GPL v2 or v3?

Thank you for your time!
Ed

Old 02-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Xavier Chantry

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM, <edmeister46@hushmail.com> wrote:
> Hello pacman team!
>
> I've been following development for quite some time, and would like
> to submit my package signing patches for review.

Out of curiosity, what do these patches accomplish exactly ?

> However, since some of the files are entirely new, they would have
> a license header. I would like to know under what license should I
> release my work.
>
> I bring this up because during this time I overlooked the inclusion
> of the rankmirrors script, which I've now noticed to be GPL v3 code.
>
> Should my files be GPL v2 or v3?

Why don't you use the same header that all C files in pacman have,
which is "gpl v2 or later" ?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:52 AM

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 13:55:27 -0400 Xavier Chantry
<chantry.xavier@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM, <edmeister46@hushmail.com>
>wrote:
>> Hello pacman team!
>>
>> I've been following development for quite some time, and would
>like
>> to submit my package signing patches for review.
>>

>Out of curiosity, what do these patches accomplish exactly ?

Bindings for openssl implemented in the backend (alpm).

>> However, since some of the files are entirely new, they would
>have
>> a license header. I would like to know under what license should
>> release my work.
>>
>> I bring this up because during this time I overlooked the
>inclusion
>> of the rankmirrors script, which I've now noticed to be GPL v3
>code.
>>
>> Should my files be GPL v2 or v3?
>>

>Why don't you use the same header that all C files in pacman have,
>which is "gpl v2 or later" ?

You see, "or later" includes v3. And since I want to keep up to
date with RMS' licenses, I prefer v3. Because of this, I'd like to
know if v3 is acceptable before releasing my work. Some of v2 is
sadly susceptible to loopholes.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Allan McRae

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 13:55:27 -0400 Xavier Chantry
I've been following development for quite some time, and would

like

to submit my package signing patches for review.

Out of curiosity, what do these patches accomplish exactly ?

Bindings for openssl implemented in the backend (alpm).

For the base64 decoding?

However, since some of the files are entirely new, they would

have

a license header. I would like to know under what license should

release my work.

I bring this up because during this time I overlooked the

inclusion

of the rankmirrors script, which I've now noticed to be GPL v3

code.

Should my files be GPL v2 or v3?

Why don't you use the same header that all C files in pacman have,
which is "gpl v2 or later" ?

You see, "or later" includes v3. And since I want to keep up to
date with RMS' licenses, I prefer v3. Because of this, I'd like to
know if v3 is acceptable before releasing my work. Some of v2 is
sadly susceptible to loopholes.

I believe that Dan has not accepted a patch before when the license was
changed to GPL3, even though the majority of the file was rewritten by
the submitter. I'm not sure what the policy on new files is, but I
would not be too hopeful...

Allan

Old 02-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Dan McGee

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 28/02/11 17:52, edmeister46@hushmail.com wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 13:55:27 -0400 Xavier Chantry
>> <chantry.xavier@gmail.com> *wrote:

>>> like

>>> Out of curiosity, what do these patches accomplish exactly ?
>>
>> Bindings for openssl implemented in the backend (alpm).
>
> For the base64 decoding?

>>> have

>>> inclusion

>>> code.

>>> Why don't you use the same header that all C files in pacman have,
>>> which is "gpl v2 or later" ?
>>
>> You see, "or later" includes v3. And since I want to keep up to
>> date with RMS' licenses, I prefer v3. Because of this, I'd like to
>> know if v3 is acceptable before releasing my work. Some of v2 is
>> sadly susceptible to loopholes.
>
> I believe that Dan has not accepted a patch before when the license was
> changed to GPL3, even though the majority of the file was rewritten by the
> submitter. *I'm not sure what the policy on new files is, but I would not be
> too hopeful...

I am not a fan of fragmented licensing (nor RMS for that matter); thus
I would expect contributions to be under GPLv2 or later as the
existing code is. Like it or not, your contributions are not
standalone or worth much by themselves when not in the bigger context
of the project, and that is currently licensed as GPLv2, and I'd like
it to stay that way. I feel like GPLv3 offers us nothing we currently
need or want.

This will be my last email on this topic to prevent it from descending
into any sort of a license war/discussion/bikeshed.

-Dan