Old 01-31-2008, 04:42 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

Default pmtransconv_t + cb_trans_conv

On Jan 31, 2008 12:46 AM, Nagy Gabor <ngaba@bibl.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Some background: FS#7524 and
> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=42959
> So I decided to rephrase our questions and messages to give more
> information about what happening "inside".
>
> Then I soon ran into the question: "Is pmtransconv_t needed?".
> Why do we restrict ourselves to some pre-defined questions? The
> question string [char *] should also work, and then the front-end could
> put a " [Y/n]" after the question (or add yes/no buttons in a graphic
> dialog box).
> But after looking into cb_trans_conv I got the answer: the front-end
> must know the "meaning" of the question to apply its --no-confirm or
> (removed) --ask rules.
> I also saw in the comment, that function is tagged as ugly. My
> compromise: let the backend formulate the question (snprintf + pass
> char* question param or by using va_list) and keep this pmtransconv_t.
>
> An example:
> PM_TRANS_CONV_CONFLICT_PKG:
> "foo [pulled dependency] conflicts with bar. Do you remove bar?"
> Or we could use a more general PM_TRANS_CONV_REMOVE_LOCAL type...
>
> Opinions, ideas?

My opinion is that the backend should not have questions at all. All
of the backend functions which need this sort of stuff to function
should be redesigned and the questions moved to the front end.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Nagy Gabor

> My opinion is that the backend should not have questions at all. All
> of the backend functions which need this sort of stuff to function
> should be redesigned and the questions moved to the front end.

Well, imho this is an utopian idea. I haven't a clue, how we could do this in
case of resolvedeps for example (without moving this function to front-end,
losing flexibility or radically decreasing speed).

Bye

Old 02-05-2008, 04:07 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

2008/2/5 Nagy Gabor <ngaba@bibl.u-szeged.hu>:
> > My opinion is that the backend should not have questions at all. All
> > of the backend functions which need this sort of stuff to function
> > should be redesigned and the questions moved to the front end.
>
> Well, imho this is an utopian idea. I haven't a clue, how we could do this in
> case of resolvedeps for example (without moving this function to front-end,
> losing flexibility or radically decreasing speed).

It's actually fairly simple, and just requires rethinking of the
process as a whole. resolve-deps is the only reason moving questions
out of the backend is difficult. Dan and I have already talked about
this a little over email. I just need to sit down and code it up